Daytime lights

I'm sure this topic has been covered here before, but can anyone tell me how to disable the daytime running lights on a 2004 XC70, US version?

Thank you, Rick

Reply to
R Blaine

Same with 2002 s80 english version please

Reply to
Tony Penner

It is illegal to do so in Canada, but you'd probably never get a ticket for it. However, if in an accident and the insurance company can prove that your modification attributed to the accident, Canadian (at least Ontario) insurance companies can and will deny the claim, or 2nd to worst, never insure you again (which means your blacklisted and can't get insurance anywhere else or instead pay a super high premium).

To have them running isn't a big deal, very small load on the battery/alternator, and makes you more visible to drunk oncoming traffic (yep, seen daytime drunk drivers!!!, in Florida with those mini cans of beer in the cup holders, hehe, crazy stuff).

Cheers.

Reply to
Jfet

This sounds very unlikely unless it is a requirement for *all* vehicles to have daylight running lights - as it probably is in Sweden.

In UK, there is no requirement to do so, but Volvos are set up to have them on by default. On my 1999 V70, the main lighting switch has a small screw in one corner which can be turned to three different positions to invoke different lighting regimes - some of which have the lights off unless expressly switched on. The driver's handbook explains the options. I fail to see how any insurance company could wriggle out of their obligations simply because someone chose a perfectly legal, but non-default, option as explained in the driver's handbook!

Not all models work in the same way for selecting lighting options. I have a feeling that V80s and the new V70 require a code to be changed in the on-board computer, which is not really a DIY job. Pity!

Reply to
Bonnet Lock
03 XC70. I have been here before.

Faced with an option I decided not to have daylight running lights on. Instead I have my lights on all of the time. It sure cuts down on the preflight check list ;-)> For the comedy impaired. 1. Selt Belt 2. Turn key 3. Go . You can leave out PoorVisiibility; Turn on lights

Please tell me why anyone with his or her mind engaged would buy a vehicle renown for innovation in automobile safety would want to disable features they paid for. If oncoming drivers object they can start driving on the other side of the road!

Gunner

It probably makes sense in northern Scandanavia - where it is dark round the clock for weeks on end in winter to have lights which come on automatically with the ignition.

It makes a lot less sense in other parts of the world - but it is probably easier and cheaper for Volvo to use the same systems worldwide. Daylight running lights are not a legal requirement in UK and only Volvos (and maybe Saab?) have them. Indeed, Volvo drivers are sometimes ridiculed for their inability to turn off their lights on a bright summer's day. One comic even did a sketch about an old Volvo being compressed into a cube of scrap metal

*still* with its light on!

There has been a lot of discussion in the past in this NG about the merits or otherwise of daylight running lights - and it invariably polarises into two camps. I am firmly in the camp which favours giving the individual driver control of his lights.

[Similarly there has been a lot of discussion about one or two rear fog lights - since Volvo only implements *one* on the basis that this is *safer*! In my view, Volvo have very weird ideas on lighting philosophy even though all other safety aspects of their cars are excellent].
Reply to
Bonnet Lock

I wish life was that simple.

Here in the UK, although bordering illegal, it is common practice to 'flash' your lights at someone to invite them to pull out in front of you. Sadly, the roads in Wiltshire where I live are heavily pot-holed in the Swiss cheese style ( the only flat road surfaces are called puddles). Brilliant though my V70 suspension is, it can't stop the car being bounced around and hence waving the daylight running lights up and down.

After my third emergency stop in one week, I asked the dealer to turn the dangerous life threatening things off. It's a shame because I believe running lights to be a good thing - shame I have to go without. I drove dim-dipped running lights for 10 years with my previous 740, and not once did anyone mistake them for an intentional flash.

Preferably please reply to the newsgroup. If you need to write direct, please reply to Dom131pointnewsatstapldmpointdemonpointcopointuk. Sorry for the antispam measures, but that's modern life!

Reply to
KerbKlipper

Only the dealer can reset this for you they may charge a fee for this it depends on the mood of the service manger

Reply to
G Klein

On my 2002 S40 (UK) they are turned off by a combination of the turning the light switch and turning the key - instructions were in the manual..

Reply to
jel183(UK)

Hi, Rick - - -

Whatever opinions folks may have on the "morality" of lights-on driving, the operation in *all* current production Volvo's (US, anyway) is:

Computer selectable only - default is "on." Also, the current computer configuration of all individual onboard computers is mirrored on the big computer in the sky in Sweden - for whatever that may be worth.

Dealers charging or not is, actually, an issue. Volvo activates the daylight lights in countries where their use is perceived to be a safety-related issue. Most of your friendly Dealers are reluctant to fool with a "safety related" item. In the US, we seem to believe that any problem we encounter is somebody else's fault, so the court system is kept busy - very busy. Figure the odds that your Dealer should be looking at, if not you, too.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

In fact there are bright-sunlight conditions in which daytime running lights make an oncoming car visible from a distance when an unlit car is lost in the glare of the sun on the road. I believe Volvo is using fairly solid research in defaulting to DRL's even where they are not mandated (and add VW to that list, at least in the U.S.) This is not to suggest that drivers ought not to have a choice where the law doesn't require them.

However, I do believe that the widespread use of DRL's puts unlit vehicles at a disadvantage, in that drivers don't look for cars any more - they just look for headlights. DRL's have been mandated here since 1990 and, given the very small percentage of vehicles that survive salted roads for 14 eastern-Canadian winters, it's very rare to see a car today without them.

(Sadly, in mandating DRLs the gov't didn't bother to specify what colour they should be, resulting in several makers implementing them by slightly intensifying their amber parking lights. I think this shows a fundamental ignorance of the principles involved.)

The rear fog lights question has come up here before; as I understand it it boils down to (a) with two fog lights on, your brake lights would be less disctinctive, and (b) Germany mandates it that way.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

Thank you

But you preaching from the choir loft!

G (Canada Safety Council - Defensive Driving Instructor)

automatically

Reply to
Gunner