2006 Rav4 Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Hi,

I just traded my 05 Rav4 today for an 06 model. Anyways, I really like it except I absolutely HATE the Daytime Running Lights. I think that is the dumbest thing to drive around in the daytime with your lights on. Does anyone know how to disable these things? Specific instructions would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
cusack

Ok here is an update to this. I went to poking around on it this afternoon and in the fuse box that is under the hood is where you disonnect them...sorta. There are 5 relays total in there. Three of them are labeled DRL and two of them say DIM HEAD. I removed the three DRL ones and whola no more Daytime running lights....however my high beams did not work anymore. I've tried several different combinations and even the DIM HEAD ones and at one point had it where one high beam would work and the other didn't but I'm fairly confident this is where you disable them. My only question is just which ones do I unplug, it's like playing a guessing game since there are 5 relays total and I'm in South Georgia where it was 90 degress here today so it was a bit too hot to play with it for too long. Any ideas on just which relay or relays to unplug?

Reply to
cusack

While I appreciate your desire to be in control of your personal vehicle please remember this when you are driving in dusk or early dawn. It was dusk, pretty close to being dark, when I stopped at the end of the driveway at the road. Looked both ways and started to pull out, then, as it's my habit, looked both ways again and saw a black vehicle with no lights on heading toward me from the right. It was really hard to see and if I hadn't looked again I would have pulled out in front of it. Too many people don't remember vehicle lights are not only so you can see but so you can be seen as well. Off the soapbox :-) enjoy your new ride. Dave

Reply to
davidj92

Call the service department at the dealership where you bought the car

Reply to
Barry

Tried that. There comment was this is a saftey feature that Toyota will not let us disconnect.

Reply to
cusack

Greetings,

I know that a few people have said that pulling the emergency brake a little will cause the brake light on the dash to light and the DRL's to turn off. Tried this one night in my garage and it worked on my 2006 Subaru Outback. Maybe if you just found the emergency brake switch and "adjusted" it (too tight), maybe the brake would stay off, as would your DRL...

Bill

1990 Toy 4x4 with 71K miles. 2006 Subaru Outback Sedan with 2K Miles 1984 Mercedes 300D Turbo with 195K Miles 1980 Mercedes 450SL with 225K Miles 1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan with 114K Miles

Reply to
Bill Pelka

I have to chime in on this one. They are mandatory in canada - and everytime I visit the US, it really makes me appreciate the DRLs. It is so much easier to see cars with the DRLs.

And personally, I don't see it as a cosmetic nuisance.. I have a volvo with HID and they are running all the time. My T100 also has DRL and I would never turn them off.

Reply to
superhawk

I put running lights on my 2001RAV4, looks silly, but people haven't pulled out in front of me since. (Couple of close calls, few changes of underware... )

Reply to
William Hayes