Detecting AC leaks S70

The local shop dropped the bomb Friday and said my evaporator has a sizable leak. Can someone tell me how they know this, especially since the evaporator is hidden behind the dash? They couldn't find a leak in one of the hoses, but they said there must be a leak since it's got oil on it.

Just curious ... also be/c they didn't charge me anything in the process.

Mike

You put in a fluoruscent liquid in the system and with uv light you then detect where it´s coming out. Alternatively a few workshops use a sniffer that can "smell" where the leak is. A sizable leak should be easy to spot, small leaks where it takes several months for the coolant to dissaper can be treacky to find. Can you see any green color in the fan outlets in the middle of the dashboard if you look closely?

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

LOL! Think again. I'm afriad if the evap. has indeed got a leak, its a dash out job on a LHD 70 series. :(

On RHD's we can do the evap swap by dismantling the glove box (no steering column in the way)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Oh, I was only referring to the putting the green dye into the system. I am already dreading the 7-10 hour job and its drain on my pocketbook.

Mike

Tim.. wrote:

Reply to
mikechiu

I think the heater boxes are different too. The evaporator is on the passenger side on LHD cars, but to get the evaporator out, you have to disassemble the heater box. To disassemble the heater box, you have to remove it from the car. To remove it from the car, you have to remove the dash first. That's what causes the labour time. It's interesting that you say the evaporator in RHD heater boxes can be removed without this process.

Reply to
Mike F

Yes- its a fairly simple nut n bolt R&R- thus-

Remove glove box as a complete unit. Remove under dash panels / shelf both sides. Peel back carpet both sides. Remove radio, disconnect wiring. Remove external amp (if fitted) Clamp, or drain cooling system, remove heater hoses from bulkhad. Blow coolant out of matrix. Remove self tapping screws around bottom segment of heater casing. Remove single bolt securing heater matrix feed pipes. Lower and drop out heater matrix, remove from car. Discharge a/c, disconnect lines, remove more self taping screws, drop evap. down from heater box and remove.

Thats about it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Interesting - I wonder if the LHD heater box will come apart in the car with the heater core removed...

Reply to
Mike F

I am tryimg to do this exact same procedure on my Volvo S70. I have taken apart the whole dash as well as disconnected the AC lines, but am unsable to get to the evaporator. Looks like the whole climate control unit (Huge set of pastic ducts etc), has to be removed as one.

How do you remove the heater hoses in the engine compartment? Is that the only thing holding the entire climate control unit to the firewall. (I have removed the large bolts on the top, as well as the AC pipes)

Thanks Ramesh

Reply to
ramesh

Pinch the plastic retainers on the heater pipes toward the hose and pull the hoses away from the heater core. Catch the coolant in a pan below the hoses. If you have some cap plugs or corks seal the heater core pipes so that you don't drip antifreexe all over the inside of the car while you wrestle the heater box out of there. Be careful of the servo and bracket by the gas pedal. It takes a little fidgeting to work it out with out breaking things.

Bob

Reply to
User