A/C evaporator for 2000 Wrangler...

Just got back from the shop. My a/c is blowing hot and I am missing the middle two fan speeds. They told me they'd have to order the main piece for the fan speed from the dealer. Said it should cost about $150 installed. This sound about right?

The big hit is that they say I have a slow freon leak somewhere. They put some dye in the system so they can find the leak next time I'm in. They said it is probably the evaporator. As I understand it, these things are rather expensive to replace. Any ideas to save some money?

Thanks.

Reply to
E. Jason Brooks

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jason, You can buy just the 4-way switch from the dealer for about $14.00. You don't need the whole control board. Takes all of 20 minutes to change. Don't know about the evaporator. Joe Carroll

Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Thanks for the advice. Any idea where I can get the instructions for replacing the switch? I'm no mechanic so I hope it's very easy. :-P

Reply to
E. Jason Brooks

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks, Bill!

Reply to
E. Jason Brooks

Any idea where I can buy the control unit? I've searched online but can't find it. Can I only get it from the dealer?

Reply to
E. Jason Brooks

I've replaced mine twice on my 2000 sport, had to go to dealer both times. Remember, they will tell you you have to buy whole control unit, not so on the 2000. You only need the 4-way speed switch for the fan. Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Hi Jason: I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have been adding refrigerant slowly for 6 months. Recently it got to where it would not stay in system over a 24 hour period. I leak checked it with electronic leak detector. I found the evaporator leaking. Don't know if you are aware of it or not, Jeep,Dodge, etc has a recall on these evaporators. Mine is too old for the recall, so they told me. However I think you can get your replaced under the recall. Go to the jeep dealer and ask them about it..or simple call and speak to the service manager..he will tell you if covered..you may have to get firm with them..if he resist, ask him which ones are covered under the recall. Oh the price of the evaporator at Autozone is

125.00..and at several other auto parts stores. The main expense is labor. Probably 350.00 for labor and misc. materials. I hope this is of benefit to you. Take Care Robie..
Reply to
Robie

Thanks. I will definitely look into the recall.

Reply to
E. Jason Brooks

Jayson, I have 97 Cherokee Sport that I replaced the evaporator, and also the accumulator/dryer this spring. If you are interested in doing the job yourself contact me off group and I will tell you the procedure. If you ask Bill he says he won't touch the job for $1,000.00.

Reply to
davebz1a

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
mic canic

Do you know how long of a warranty extension? I doubt that I would still be under it since it's a 2000 and has right at 60k miles.

Reply to
E. Jason Brooks

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Save Our Limburger?

Reply to
E. Jason Brooks

Reply to
mic canic

Read my history with this, then sell the car:

Richard J Kinch

Don't know about the fan speeds but I just replaced my evaporator in August. Check out the thread "A/C coil in a '99XJ" that I started on 8/24/04. Had informative replies and good information.

Here's a c>Just got back from the shop. My a/c is blowing hot and I am missing the

Reply to
HeBjeepN