Do I really need to move the power steering pump to replace / repair vacuum hose? 1996 850

I just found the source of my P0172 problem...the vacuum hose behind the power steering pump. I checked bay13, and it talks about moving or removing the power steering pump to gain enough access to get at the clamp holding the hose at the manifold.

Does anybody have any tricks that they can share on this repair? Removing the power steering pump seems like it would require removing the serpentine belt and risking disturbing the hydraulic hoses. I would really like to repair this without disturbing the power steering pump, but can't see very well to know what I'm up against.

Also, it looks like this is a specially made hose. It looks like a

1/2 inch hose at the manifold which turns into a 1/4 inch O.D. hose in the middle, and then does a 90 and widens out to 1/2 inch O.D. where it connects to a plastic tube which goes under the intake manifold "header". Does this sound right, or is mine just buggered up? Can this hose be made out of different size vacuum hoses and some copper tubing to splice them together?....

I'm excited to have finally found the problem, and want to dig into this tomorrow evening, and will really appreciate any hints that I can get. Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
radishpicker

I changed the one on my S70 without moving anything, and I remember it wasn't easy. My configuration was different than yours, I bought the correct part from the dealer so I wouldn't have the problem of trying to put something in that may or may not have worked.

Reply to
Mike F

See your other post Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

Thanks, Mike. I did mine today...got the correct part from the dealer as you recommended. I ended up pulling the plastic tube out a bit to get the rubber hose off of it. Do you know where the plastic tube goes? I want to check it to make sure that I didn't pull it out at the other end.

I checked vacuum following changing the tube at the "vacuum tree" and got 20 inches of vacuum, so I think that I solved the vacuum problem...crossing my fingers. Thanks again,

Andy

Reply to
radishpicker

On mine that hose ends up on the electrically heated nipple on the air hose from air mass meter to the turbo at the inlet for the turbo.

Reply to
Mike & Shonna