dumb question . . .

I have "inherited" a 1996 Volvo 850. Not sure if I'll be selling it or trading in, but I'm doing research for both scenarios.

It's a sedan, not turbo, but I can't figure out if it's just the 850 or the

850 GLT. Would it say "GLT" on the back of the car if this was the case? The owners manual seems to cover multiple trim levels so it's not much help. Thanks in advance!
Reply to
Beth

FWIW, '96-'97 are probably the best years for the 850. I think if it were a GLT, it would say GLT. Here are the differences between the 850 and

850 GLT for 1996:

Item 850 850 GLT Wheels steel alloy Power sunroof no yes

8-way drivers seat manual power Base sound system 6 speaker, 80W 8 speaker, 100W

Both cars have a naturally aspirated (as you've said) 5 cyl. 2.4L engine.

Hope this helps.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Beth,

It would most likely say "GLT" on the rear - but, if it has leather, sunroof, power driver's seat, automatic climate control, alloy wheels, etc. then it is a GLT. Some of these were available as single options, but taken all together it is a GLT.

Dave

Beth wrote:

Reply to
TurboDave

It would be either an 850 SE or 850 GLT. If it has electrically adjustable door mirrors, electric glass sunroof (moonroof), 6-spoke 15" alloy wheels, colour co-ordinated bumpers and mirrors and an external temperature gauge with ice alert, then it is a GLT, especially if it has a plush interior. The SE has a cloth interior. The engine can be either 2.0 Litre or 2.4 Litre five cylinder in both cases.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Peter,

I answered with a US bias - I don't believe we had an 850 SE. The most common non-GLT was the 850 "ASR" - meaning automatic and sunroof. Most also had leather as an option. In the US, there was no 2.0 liter.

Dave

Peter K L Milnes wrote:

Reply to
TurboDave

Thanks to everyone who answered!

Reply to
Beth

It would say GLT on the back if it was--but why are you not keeping it?? It's a very nice car!

Reply to
Steve n Holly

Hello! Open the bonnet, and see if it has 20 valve printed somewhere. The GLT's all have the 2.5 (not 2.4) litre engine with a 20 valve system instead of a 10 valve system. Both are 5 cyl. and have no turbo. This is the case with all the Swedish produced Volvo's, some where produced in Belgium, but to my knowledge they are the same. (For the US market most where fitted with an automatic gearbox and loads of extra's. Extra's are heavily taxed in most W-European country's!) 850's exported to the US where produced there. See the "made in.." tag also in the bonnet. Please let me know if hat's the case? Gert

Reply to
gert

Gert, I am in the UK and have a 1997 non Turbo 850 GLT it says GLT on the on the rear door (Estate, also known as a wagon in USA). My car also has the 2.5 litre 5 cylinder engine but only 10 valves. Confusing or what! Bosun

Reply to
Bosun

"bosunrules" wrote: > gert wrote: > > Steve n Holly wrote: > > >  >> "Beth" < snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHISispllc.net> wrote in > message >  >> news:41d87c07$1_3@127.0.0.1... >  >>

Check out E-bay.... 1996 Volvo : 850 GLT Item number: 4516934746 You are signed in Email to a friend | Watch this item in My eBay Larger Picture Starting bid: US $2,899.00

13 items found for 1996 volvo 850
Reply to
Mrs_Volvo52