V70 electric seat question... HELP!!

Hello all, I have just installed a set of leather seats in my V70, and the driver's seat has all the electric adjustment features. Only problem is, there is no electrical connector for me to plug it in! This means I'm left with no seat adjustments until I can figure out how to wire the seats in! I therefore need some details on how to connect the seat. I assume it just requires 12V power. Perhaps someone out there can furnish me with a picture of the connector when plugged into the loom, so I can get some clues from the colours? Once I know which pins to use in the plug, I can then work out where to take power from. Tapping into the cigar-lighter socket seems possible, and the power would be switched by the ignition then too. I'd also like a circuit diagram if possible. I have the haynes manual for this vehicle, but the circuit diagrams in there leave much to be desired. The connector in question plugs into the ECU which is mounted under the front edge of the seat. If someone has this type of seat, please get your digital camera out for me!! E-mail address is snipped-for-privacy@postmaster.co.uk In the meantime, I'll drive with the seat too close to the pedals, and with my head sticking out of the roof! At least I now have a heated seat again, my other one broke last winter. Any help appreciated. Joe Landy Peterborough UK. P.S Pair of front, Beige, Cloth seats for sale, with driver's heated part not working. Otherwise VGC. Any offers?

Reply to
joe landy

What year if car is early 850 / 70 series the connector should be close to the floor heater duct under the sips tunnel

Reply to
G Klein

Hi Mr Klein, and thanks for your reply. My car is a 1997 model V70, one of the first few. Do you think the connector for the seat will be present, even if the car didn't have an electric seat as standard? The connector isn't floating around under the seat anywhere, but I guess it could be under the carpet where you suggested. I'll have a look at luchtime. The car is UK model, so I'm not sure if Volvo usually fit looms for equipment which isn't standard. I still can't locate the CD changer wiring in the boot, or at the radio end. I've reached the conclusion that this wasn't fitted in the factory. Cheers for now. Joe Landy.

Reply to
joe landy

It is possible but from my understanding was that most of the wire harness are there just have to dig a little should be very close to the sips tunnel (Sips = Side Impact Protection ) which runs along the B post from side to side Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

Right then. Made some progress today! I removed the drivers seat again, peeled back the carpets, and had a good rummage around. There is definitely no loom present for the electric seat! Strange I know, but true. I then proceeded to remove the ECU from the seat base. I'm an electronics engineer by trade, so I was then able to identify the polarity of the circuit! Great! I also identified the permanent 12V supply, which is required to keep the memories stored, so I connected the whole lot up to 12V, and hey presto, I have an electrically adjustable seat. I'd therefore like to thank everyone for their Help, especially mr Klein for urging me to dig deeper!! If anyone else wants to install some of these seats, I can help. I have also recorded the details of how to connect power to the ECU, so perhaps someone wants to post it up on the web somewhere. I'll do a photo of the connector, draw some arrows on it with Paintshop, and then save it as a JPG. Mail me if you want it!! Cheers for now. Joe Landy. Peterborough UK.

Reply to
joe landy

Hi Joe,

I've installed a Volvo CD changer this summer in my V70 1998. The CD changer electrical wiring was already installed but I had to pass the sound cable through the SIP channel.

That's not a big job.

Danny Gagné Montréal, Canada

Reply to
Danny Gagné

Hi Danny, That's interesting. While pulling carpets and trim out of mine looking for seat electrics, I came across some other spare plugs, with very thin wires connected to them, and some screened cables. One in particular was green, and had about 8 ways. I wonder if this is the one for the CD option? The free plug was clipped into a sort of 'storage bracket' near the handbrake lever under the centre console. I didn't find anything in the SIP tunnel, and the cabling for the heated seat (which is original equipment) runs along the sill, then up under the steering column. Of course (being in the UK), mine is RH drive and I'm not sure where the cabling runs for the other seat. Do you mean there was a full length of cable ready to be plugged into the CD player? You just has to finish routing it up the rear of the stereo? I have finished wiring the seat in my own way now, but I'd be interested in sorting out a CD changer. Bit silly really, the car has done 223,000 UK miles and I ought to replace it, but now I've got nice leather seats, and I've done some work for the up-coming MOT (annual safety) test so I'll keep it for a while yet. Cheers for the input. Joe Landy (replying using my home connection, when it works!) (Newsgroup access seems to be a bit temperamental.) Joe Landy Peterborough UK.

Reply to
Joe landy

Hello Joe,

Perhaps you could send me the details (or even pics) of finding the power-cable for the electrical-seat-adjustment.

I have a 1996 (MY1997) Volvo 850 Tdi Manual Sedan and have taken over some T5-R seats (MY1995) which work great!

I have found out what the 4 wires do, but still use the sigaret-plug to adjust the seat because I can't find out where to plug the wiring into!

  1. continuous 12V +
  2. Empty
  3. Mass -
  4. OBD-II connection