Engine Rebuild and New Wiring Harness -- Transmission Problem!

Hey all, I got the engine on my 1987 740 GLE put back in and runs fine. Now here is the mechanic report.

What concerns me is the dashboard lighting up and the transmission not shifting well. The transmission seemed fine before the engine was pulled and the wiring harness replaced. Any chance of a wiring glitch?

Here's the mechanic report:"

I started the engine and took it down the road. The engine runs fine. However, with the transmission in drive it slips so badly I can't get the car up to speed. If I run through the gears manually it seems to do better. I think the trannie is going south. There are also electrical problems that I can't figure out. After going down the road about half a mile, every warning light on the dash came on except for the low oil pressure light. I got it back home and parked it in front of the shop."

Reply to
Jamie

In article , Jamie wrote: [ ... ]

Check the fluid in the transmission; it'll slip if there's not enough, and some may have been lost during the work, particularly if the car has a cooler for the fluid.

For the all-dash-lights-on, check the alternator connections. I've seen that happen in other cars when an alternator failed or a connection failed. Also check the ground cable connections; your car might have had a strap between the engine and body which was not reattached.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Thanks gary, We did have some static ground straps off and exposed wiring. I think we found them all and it still does it. We think there is a short somewhere because were are having ignition problems.

I asked this in another post, but the new wiring harness I got from Dave Barton (used/new), is missing a connector. At the starting point of the harness at the passenger firewall are 2 large block connectors and 1 small 2-prong connector with 1 blue and 1 brown wire. The other end of these 2 wires go somewhere near the starter, where from the harness come a red wire and green wire to the starter, with this was a blue and a brown wire going to a connector. This blue and brown wire connector is not on the new harness, and I don't know where near the starter it connects, if I would make one.

Can someone please check this out and let me know?

1987 740 GLE B230F

Thanks!

Reply to
Jamie

Check the timing; if your engine has a timing belt, verify that all the marks on the belt line up with the marks on the pulleys. Timing problems can affect starting.

[ ... ]

Measure the length it extends from the harness near the starter and use that as your search radius around the new harness. If the old wiring is still good, just strip it out of the old harness intact and install it.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston