Anyone have any experience with aftermarket Splash pans?

Hello All The Splash/Belly/Lower engine pan cracked on my '95 940 and has to be replaced. I see some on ebay and in the ipd catalog that are aftermarket versions. Has anyone used one of these? Any issues with fit or quality?

Thanks Don B.

Reply to
Don B.

Lots of sources. I prefer FCP groton for price/performance but IPD is very reliable. I just repaired my old one with metal washers and epoxy. Still working after 2 years.

Howard

1985 245 1993 245T
Reply to
Howard Nelson

I'm afraid mine is a bit past repair after some unintentional "off roading"...

I was a little hesitant to get an aftermarket one (sight unseen) only because I've gotten stuck with a few things that were total crap and not worth the money. I'll checkFCP. IPD wants some crazy price for shipping!

Thanks for the info.

Don B.

1979 244 1985 245T 1987 744T 1995 940
Reply to
Don B.

Hello Don:

I'd recommend you have a look at what Eeuroparts.com in Connecticut (USA) has to offer.

I ordered a belly pan for my 93 240 from them and the fit and finish were flawless and the price was right. I paid $23.90 and shipping was free as my order including other items was over $39 USD.

They do ship to Canada as well...but one must spend $139 to qualify for free shipping in that case.

I live in Upstate NY, and have ordered from them about 28 times in the last 6 months. THey have never let me down yet. Last week I ordered sway bar endlink bushings, oil and air filters and a few other things.

I placed my order at 4:50 PM EST last Wednesday and would have been happy if the merchandise arrived by Friday.

It was on my doorstep before I left for work on Thursday morning at 8 AM. Yes..15 hours and ten minutes after I placed my order online. Could have been less as I was in the shower and never heard the FedEx truck pull up.

Shipping time will vary depending on how far one lives from their facility--but is as good as one will ever get from any vendor.

Their policy is that any order placed before 5 PM EST will be shipped the same day.

You can look at their website and determine how long it will take for a shipment to arrive at your particular front door. I checked for a friend in Toronto and it takes 4 days--but that included processing at the border for customs, etc. Note that any customs and brokerage fees are paid by the buyer but that Eeuro has no control over that.

I don't work for them and have no affiliation with them--but can highly recommend them as I've been more than pleased with their customer service, prices and shipping.

I see they have the belly pan for your car at $24.90. If you live in the US, buy a few other things like oil filters to get the order to $39 and shipping will be free.

Here's the link for your belly pan:

Their prices are fantastic and in many cases the products are OEM manufactured by the company that made them for Volvo. I've been buying quite a few wiring harnesses for 240 wagon tailgates and they are about $10 each rail from Eeuro. IPD wants nearly $85 for a pair--both rails (ridiculous as they are $32 per rail at the Volvo dealer here.)

I'm certainly not bashing IPD as I've had a long and good relationship with them since the late '70's--but my last experience was not good as far as shipping went. They shipped UPS ground and it took 13 days.

I called and they said "well...you live in NY and the USPS would have taken half the time and would have been cheaper."

Fine...but I think they should have advised me of that when I ordered on the phone.

One IMPORTANT CAVEAT regarding Eeuroparts:

Be certain you are ordering the correct item--the one you really need, as they have a hefty 25% restocking fee and if shipping was free you'll be billed for that at their cost and also have to pay for sihpping on the returned items.

Seems fair to me when one considers their pricing structure.

However, if it is their mistake or the part is defective you will only need to pay cost of returning the item as far as shipping goes--and I highly recommend FedEx Ground. They have the most competitive prices on the block. I'm also pretty sure if the error was theirs that they would cover return shipping but can't be sure as they have never made a mistake yet--at least not on one of my orders.

Bottom line? If you are not absolutely sure you are ordering the right part or anything on the website is unclear, give them a call on their toll free line. You'll typically only wait a few minutes on hold and they are extemely helpful and knowledgeable.

One final note:

I had the belly pan for my 240 and other parts in a box. The fellow who has a shop next door came in for coffee at my shop (it's a personal shop I rent for my own use so I don't have cars sitting around at home--plus has high nough ceilings for a lift) looked at me and said "why'd you buy this? (the belly pan) I have three of them in my shop I was going to throw away. Turned out only one was for a 240 but was in good shape. I'll use it eventually.

Cheerio,

Doc

Reply to
doc

I have the IPD ones on my cars, they fit fine and are comparable to OEM.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks Doc I had a look at eeuroparts.com and a few others but was not aware of the free shipping over $39.

It did make it worth it to buy a few other things I needed and get the free shipping. Florida is a little further but, I can wait.

Thanks for the tip Don B.

Reply to
Don B.

Hi,

I'm normally not a huge fan of IPD, their prices suck for the most part, and ya gotta wait around for someone in Oregon to get motivated and get around to shipping the thing(unless you pay extra for rushed shipping). For things like this though they cannot be beat. Any part of this sort that I have purchased through IPD has been correct, and more close to OEM than anyone else' version.

Best -O-luck,

-Z-

Reply to
Zeke