Flame trap replacement on Volvo 850.

I have a 1996 Volvo 850 wagon (no turbo). I am new at servicing my new old Volvo. What are the tricks, precautions in changing the flame trap. Volvo parts department suggested I should clean my old flame trap filter instead of buying a new one, which here in Canada costs $8.00. Is it wise to clean and if so what to use. I am not afraid of disassembling, but reassembling. I am inexperienced and have big hands, but I think I'm mechanically inclined to do it myself. My second project is changing fuel filter. Any suggestion would be welcome.

Reply to
Adam

There's no downside to cleaning, except time. While you're cleaning the flame trap, clean all associated hoses.

Note that the oring often likes to take a hike as you do this job.

Reply to
Mike F

If the flame-trap has never been cleaned on a 1996 850, the filter is going to be really gummed up. Replace the flame-trap. Here's how to do it:

You will find that the engine will perform better with a clean flame-trap. Also, it is easy to do, so you can clean it once a year.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Mike thanks for your promt reply. I read many interesting posts from you. I will buy O ring and flame trap filter from the dealer, clean and reuse the old one next time. What should I use to clean it. I had the procedure printed out from

but still wanted some reassurance. Where should I buy quality parts in Canada. US sites have very good prices, but do we have any here.

Reply to
Adam

Bev thanks for reply. I will change it with a new o ring and filter. I am an Volvo owner for only three months. I have all the repair bills from the previous owner, but he was not mechanically inclined so everything was being serviced at the dealer and then at general mechanic. Some things might have been overlooked. I am changing things for which I can not find bills and which are do to be serviced.

Reply to
Adam

There are special air intake cleaner solvents available in spray cans at auto supply places designed for this. However, varsol or paint thinner works, as do brake cleaner and carb cleaner.

I don't know any good online place in Canada. I get my parts from a dealer if I can't get them through my friend's garage from one of his wholesale suppliers.

Reply to
Mike F