Flame trap - Can one live without?

I was thinking about removing the flame trap from my '92 240. Anyone is running its Volvo (any models) without the flame trap?

Feedback appreciated.

Reply to
Sammy

The flame trap is strictly a safety feature. If your engine backfires it prevents the flame front from reaching the oil vapor/air mixture in the crankcase [think *BOOM*]. Older Rovers have a reputation for this form of engine self destruction (since they did not have a flame trap)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Didn't they call it the "Automatic Rear Seal Replacement Feature"? ;-)

from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960

Reply to
Randy G.

Every 240/740 non turbo I've owned has one, except for my present 740 2.0 auto. Apparently Volvo now don't insist on them. The "new" car has the extended tube to make flame trap replacement easier and the fittings are the same, but no flame trap "pepperpot" is included.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

If you have a turbo engined version you can throw away the filter part of your PCV. If you do not have a turbo you should regularly clean out the whole PCV system, say every two years.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes