Fuel Gauge Problem

1986 740 Turbo

Fuel gauge works intermittently, without apparent pattern.

I noted yesterday, while it was functioning, it occasionally would bounce or flicker slightly, over about an eighth of a tank range.

In order to test it via grounding the wire from the instrument panel to the sending unit, I removed the three wire connector near the driver's side trunk hinge (this connector contains the three wires from in tank assembly).

My question: which wire do I ground?

The center gray wire from the tank changes to a white wire to the front: it is in the center.

Is this the one I ground?

Presumably I turn on the key, put a wire in the prong at the connector for the wire, then touch it to body/ground, and make certain the fuel gauge pegs.

thanx

Reply to
Mr. V