changing the in tank fuel pump on a 240 SW

Hello,

I have an '83 240 Gl SW with 180K that is running great. The in tank fuel pump becomes rather noisy if the tank is less than 1/2 full, so I decided to change it.

I encountered couple of problems.

1 The Hayes manual tells you to depressurise the system by removing the fuses for both fuel pumps while the engine is running and let it stall. Regardless of which fuses I take out the main fuel pump keeps on running and the engine never stalls. Is there an easy way to disconnect the pump??

2 I attempted to remove the hoses from the in tank pump, but I had troubles. One just does not come out and it feels like the system is under vacuum. Is there any way that I can completely get rid of the vacuum?? Or do I just have to pull on it harder??

Thanks, Marco.

Reply to
Marco Rolandi

One hose is attached to the top of the sender unit permanently, the connection is about 50 cm away.

Reply to
Mike F

I just changed both fuel pumps in my 83 wagon recently(like three weeks ago). The toughest part was removing and reinstalling the filler tube. There is a collar on the left side of the back that you reach by angling your arm between the body and the gas tank. It took a 10mm wrench. I took out the tank and was glad I did since it was very easy and five bolts. The two fuel hoses on top of the tank I seperated from the tank inside the car. If the hose was stuck I would have, in a difficult case, try to work soapy water between the hose and metal tube. Disconnect the battery of course. The electrical connection, I disconnected at the connector on the body and let it flop with the tank when I took it out. I don't think it will seperate from the tank access when changing the intank fuel pump. I cleaned up the tank access really well using WD 4o and then tapped it open( it only goes one way) with a solid brass piece of metal. It came off with surprisingly easy taps. The inserted fuel gauge and fuel pump had to be manuerved carefully which is one reason I was glad to remove the tank. Ok, if there was a vaccum I would think that removing the gas cap would solve that problem. You could also remove the hose at the main fuel pump. Mine has a screw clamp holding it on, It seems a daunting task but the only weary part was taking and reinstalling the filler hose collar. Rojo

Reply to
Rojo2G