headlights go out after about 10 minutes

I have a 92 240..recently the headlights have been going out after about 10 minutes of driving,,,i can keep the hi beams on by holding the switch in...and if I turn on or off the headlite switch the lites usually come back on...my question? is it the relay or the switcn

Reply to
turtle

First thing to check is the fusebox for corrosion, then the bulb failure sensor for cracked solder joints, then look into the switch and then the relay under the hood.

Reply to
James Sweet

There is an on-off relay that turns the headlights off with the ignition under the dash. I'd say that's most likely your problem as there are no fuses at all anywhere in the headlight circuit, and the function that turns the high beams on by holding the switch bypasses that relay. Don't confuse this relay with the hi-lo relay that is mounted on the inner fender under the hood.

Of course, cleaning your fusebox is always a good idea on a 240. I cleaned mine yearly, whether it needed it or not, back in the days when I had 240s. After a 10 minute drive, any fuses that are any more than slightly warm to the touch need work, but be careful, they can often be hot enough to burn your fingers.

Reply to
Mike F