Very dim headlights

I seem to have very dim headlights - last night when driving home, I turned off my lights (nobody else around) to see how dim they were and I actually couldn't tell the difference with them on or off!!! Recently, I've also noticed when somebody is driving behind me, a shadow is cast from my car on the road forward by the brightness of the lights on the car behind me. I'm driving a 1998 Renault Megane. Do these cars have a problem with dim headlights?

Reply to
Neaco

My '98 Veccy is the same. In for a service on Tuesday so I'll get them to re-align and or/bin the bulbs and have nice shiny new ones put in!

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Don't know about the Megane specifically, but this sounds like an earth problem. Try a direct wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the earth from the bulb, you may have to clean up and refit, or replace the earth wire.

-- r

In article , Neaco writes

-had a similar experience; washing the outside of the glass worked wonders!

Reply to
Chris Holford

Its winter. Have you tried cleaning the shit off them?

Reply to
Conor

The other suggestions are all good but it could just be old bulbs. They do get discoloured and let less light through as they age.

Reply to
rp

Clean the salt off the front. Teach granny to suck eggs as well but....

Could be a dodgy earth. I've seen arrangements where a blown earth does odd things like route back through the high beam filaments and other weird crap like that. It was a Citroen as well so could be a French thing.

New bulbs. Check the reflectors are still in place and have fallen off internal mounts or summar silly.

Reply to
Chris Street

My van's were like that, turned out to be a combination of loads of dirt INSIDE the glass, and poor wiring.

Reply to
jeremy

I had that problem, has just got dark and I was like.. I can't see much with these lights, must be something wrong!

So I stopped, cleaned off the dirt from the glass, and all was well again.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt