Heater fan motor

I have a 91 240. Recently the heater/AC fan has started squealing intermittently which will often stop if I switch the fan up to a higher speed and then back down. Well, that was working but this weekend on a long road trip it was squealing more often than not to the point where I pulled the #3 fuse which controls the fan. Weirdly the squealing continued for several minutes until I turned the control switch up to 3 at which point it stopped. I know Volvo's have a "continuous flow" ventilation system and so was wondering if it actually has 2 fans to move the air around or just the one and if 2 is there anyway to disconnect the continuous one which seems to be the problem. Years ago I changed the fan motor on my 1980 240 and I'll not be doing that again. Has to be one of the most difficult things I ever attempted.

Thanks

Reply to
Denny A

I don't know the answer to that but I had a odd thing with my fan never shutting off, till I finally realized that the A/C switch was on. If rotated all the way to the end of its range it nearly points at the "off" position; I thought it was off but it wasn't (1990 240, the switch in my wife's '93 240 is different and this wouldn't happen; yours may be different than mine as well). Since the A/C hadn't worked in years, there was no blast of cool air to cue me about this.

Some wit once commented that a 240 is a blower motor with a car built around it.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

I don't know how different the 240 is from a 740, but my replacing the heater core on my 740 was a crazy job. I'm sure I could rebuild a Volkswagen Beetle engine faster than replace that heater core.

Reply to
Zaphod

Oh, but a garden of earthly delights awaits he who replaces his heater blower motor in a 240.

I've done it twice, and I strongly advise you to remove the dash as part of the process.

Royal PITA, ubetcha!

These cars are pretty easy to work on, all except for the heater motor / fan.

see ...

Mr. V