Help: Fuel leak under the tank of my '95 940 nonturbo

This morning as I went out to the garage I smelled gas. I looked under the car and found a puddle had formed from a leak coming somewhere from the front of the tank. As far as I can tell the gas is flowing from an area I can't see and forming a drip from the left hand retainer strap to the tank.

Has anyone had anythng like this? Any ideas. I checked swedishbrick.com and didn't find anything really helpful.

Thanks Don

Reply to
Don B.

Problem found!

The fuel tank has a crack in it! It's right in the front where it rests against the frame.

Anyone had this happen and if so what did you do about it? I'll start looking for a replacement tank but, I don't think I'm going to like what I find.

Reply to
Don B.

Sorry to hear it! I do know it is not practical to weld a fuel tank - an acquaintance found out the flammable vapors persist even after repeated flushes with soapy water. After a quick "pop" the tank was much more spherical.

The tank should be available enough in wrecking yards. Buy a new seal for the connection to the filler neck, though, and replace any of those hoses that are getting brittle. All the connections to the tank should be at the plate that holds the sender and in-tank pump.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks Mike The tank is plastic so welding is out. I actually formed a piece of aluminum sheet to the contours of the tank and used a product called JB Weld (basically epoxy) to attach it.. We'll see how it works.

Replacement is the ideal but I need the car bright and early tomorrow morning. Something tells me it's going to take a while to find exactly the tank I need in my area.

don

Reply to
Don B.

My one experience with JB weld and gasoline is that it lasted a few days. I also tested an epoxy that I got at a hobby store and claimed to be gasoline proof, but it didn't do any better.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee