Hi beams won't turn off

If my wife uses the hi-beams on her 1993 245, they won't turn off. Is this likely to be a relay problem? And if so, is it like the tendency for the OD relay solder joints to fail?

Reply to
Tim McNamara

I would check the stalk switch first, the other place to look is the metal relay under the hood, I don't believe it has a soldered circuit board inside.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks. The Haynes diagrams made it look like the relay was in the dash near the OD relay. It's actually under the hood?

Reply to
Tim McNamara

My 90 has the same style stalk and I had the same problem. If putting the lever into a turn position and then dimming the lights works fix as follows.

Access the mounting screws for the turn/headlight stalk system. Remove the lower screw of the stalk mount and loosen the top screw enough to put one washer between the lower mounting base and the column, reinstalling the screw and tightening both back up starting with the lower screw first.

This twists the case enough to allow the headlight contacts inside the system to always make contact.

Duane

Reply to
Duane

There's a metal cased relay (also with no circuit board) behind the dash which supplies power to the headlights, but the high/low changeover relay is under the hood on the inner fender behind the battery.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for saving me buckets of time!

Reply to