volvo 850 stalls

We have a 1993 Volvo 850 that once every two weeks or so... just stalls. It happens at any time..... but usually when we are driving it... with foot on throttle. After stalling, all dash lights are on... and the car restarts everytime. The fuel pump in the tank was recently replaced but did not fix the problem. Any ideas?

Much thanks in advance!!

JP

Reply to
px

No "check engine" light, I assume? Does the engine quit instantaneously like you turned off the ignition or does it fade over a half second or so like you'd lifted your foot from the throttle?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It just quits as though the key is turned off and the is no check engine light activity at all while the engine is running.

Reply to
px

The sudden shut-down points to an electrical/electronic failure rather than the fuel pump quitting or other fuel delivery problem, which tend to fade away as the fuel pressure drops. The lack of a "check engine" light suggests the system thought it was doing the right thing, which leads us to things like intermittent ignition switches rather than intermittent crank angle sensors... but that part is still not something you can hang your hat on.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, but my '98 S70 just had the same problem. Sometime after driving for at least 30 minutes, the car would stall, but immediately restart. Because I have a '98 V70 as well (I bought the S70 to match the V70 exactly for this purpose, do I know Volvos or what?) I started swapping parts. First 3 attempts (fuel pump relay, crank position sensor, ignition coil) left the S70 still stalling. Fourth attempt was air mass meter, and then the V70 stalled. Never before have I been happy to have my car stall on me. Also, like you, no activity from the check engine light.

Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
Alistair Ross