How to add a fan to AC on a 92 740?

The original two speed fan fried, and we don't want to spend the big bucks for an OEM fan. I installed a engine fan out of my defunct Mercedes 300. We have another fan, a smaller one, and want to put it on/in front of the AC condenser, and wire it in so it comes on whenever the AC is turned on. THe big round Mercedes fan is positioned on the other side of the radiator, so it is not drawing air directly over the AC condenser. It its simple enough to find the fuse for the AC compressor, and tap off power BEFORE the fuse to an new fuse for the AC fan. I think when I measured the current it draws about 7 or 8 amps. Question is, I need to know whether the circuit that switches the AC compressor clutch on can handle another 8 amps. Or should I to be safe only power the fan through a booster relay?

Reply to
geronimo

Did you look for a used one from the boneyard?

Does it work and keep the engine within operating temperature?? It bolted up to the shroud ok?

Why do you want to add yet another fan. Sounds like something isn't installation working properly and you are trying to override it with yet another fan.

So you will have one smaller fan in front of the bigger fan? Is the bigger fan also triggered by the AC system? I would worry about the smaller presumably lower volume fan actually being an impediment to airflow of the larger fan.

It should be pulling air over both the AC coils and the radiator coils if it is correctly installed.

Reply to
Roadie

If that fan isn't enough to work on its own why don't you go to Schucks or similar place and pick up an aftermarket fan of the same size as the original? They're around 100 bucks which is a chunk of change, but much less than OEM.

Reply to
James Sweet

The one big Mercedes fan is enough on its own to regulate the eng. temp fine, cooling adequately. Realized that it is the trans cooler that is on the far left front of the radiator... there is a open area on the left of a few inches not covered by the Mercedes fan, just on the side where the trans cooler is...the aux fan therefore isn't impeding air flow trough the main engine fan, as it is on the far left of teh radiator. The aux fan then is helping pull more air through the trans cooler.... that is all, and may not even be necessary.

Thanks, Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo