How to fail a smog test?

I have a pretty beat 89 760 turbo wagon that may or may not pass my next california smog test. I wish to turn the car into the calif. retirement program for the $1000. that they pay but the car has to fail the smog test. Are there any easy sure fire ways to make sure that will happen without leaving any evidence of tampering?

Reply to
stevek

You could substitute the wrong air mass meter, fiddle with the timing, disconnect the O2 sensor.

That's just for starters.

Reply to
zencraps

Why not just sell the car rather than being dishonest?

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
John Robertson

Thanks Mr. V for your helpfull suggestions. I would sell it but I doubt I could get much and would not even want to pawn it off on some gullible person. The car will probably fail the test as it is. I just want to be sure. That being said John, I have been known to be a shmuck, putz, and a few other things but I'm not mishuggah, so I don't think my dishonesty has anything to do with the way I drive but then perhaps you think I shouldn't even be allowed to take the bus with my mind set.

Reply to
stevek

Well, since you claim that you are a non-Gentile, remember this one: Though shalt not bear false witness.

Take the car in as-is. If it dails, fine; if not, drive it to the local scrap yard and take what they give you.

The guys running this program have seen everything so anything that you can think of has already been tried and found wanting.

Reply to
byrocat

I never claimed any such thing.

Reply to
stevek

Wow, this is backwards logic... When one wishes to better engine performance we check to make sure the plug gaps aren't too wide or narrow. If that spark ain't just right, or that air filter is clogged - performance bogs down.

Combustion is fuel, fire and air.....

Reply to
Jamie

Dunno how it is in sunny California, but here in sunny Arizona there is a waiver that can be applied to some category of cars. It requires (IIRC) three unsuccessful repair attempts by actual shops (no certification here) or an estimated cost of repair by real shops of some monstrous amount. I wouldn't think they'd let you off the hook easily.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

zencraps