Early 90s Hondas and California Smog Test?

I want to give my 1992 Honda Accord to my daughter for college. It's a

1992 in great condition, inside and out. It passes Maryland emissions, practically without registering on the meters. I'm thinking it should be fine with California smog tests, but I don't want to spend $1200 to ship it out there only to have to spend $1200 to ship it back if it fails.

Can anyone comment on successfully importing early 90s 49-state Hondas into California? Any ideas on tests I can do in Maryland that could give me confidence about tests in California?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Ari Rankum

Here are a couple of links for the California DMV website in reference to the SMOG (emissions test) and state transfers. It'll also show you where to look to see if it's 49 state emissions or 50 state/California. It's a 1992 so I don't know when they began listing it for the 50 state emissions.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

The big "gotcha" (unless I'm mistaken) is that the test in California is heavily equipment oriented. Last I heard equipment had to be retrofitted to meet CA requirements.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

i'm almost certain that's not the case any more - the old rules have been overturned after a federal lawsuit from what i understand. you can now drive and legally smog a 49-state 90 civic in california - without mods. i know because i've done it. can't imagine that doesn't apply to a 92 accord.

Reply to
jim beam

I was there during the lawsuit. When I initially took my 49 state '88 Civic to California I had to pay a $300 fee since it didn't have California emissions, i.e., no EGR valve. No modifications to the vehicle were needed. The Civic would pass the California smog test without any problems. Indeed, I would see many other vehicles on the road which clearly put out worse looking exhaust then my Civic does. After the lawsuit, I got my $300 back plus interest. One of the things that I didn't like about California's smog laws is that emissions testing has been privatized. It's a huge for profit business and the cost of tests can vary quite a bit, e.g., $50-80 for the same test. The state government runs the test where I was from and where I am now and it costs $15 every other year.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

That's great to know. My motorhead brother in CA was often running into the equipment problem. It seemed monumentally stupid when performance testing was more comprehensive anyway. But bureaucracies aren't known for doing smart things.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

i actually "downgraded" my civic with a 49-state ecu to disable that stupid egr valve. they're nothing but trouble. car runs like a dream now.

Reply to
jim beam

I don't know how strict the emissions are there but if the car tests fine out the tail pipe it could still fail smog. Make sure the check engine light is not on, make sure the gas cap seal is good and not cracked and you can take it to a mechanic and have him check to make sure all the smog equipment is all there ( I had a Toyota van that I brought down from WA fail smog because it had a broken ported vacuum switch). After you have it shipped have it taken to a no pass no pay place so if you do have a problem you don't have to pay twice. Now the big question is why would you spend that much money to ship the car then go through all the DMV and emissions BS rather than just selling your car where you live and buying her a nice Accord in CA?

Reply to
william1977

This is Zippy(TM) you're talking about. Zippy is a 1992 that's been babied to the point that she's dead-dog reliable. My chief reason for wanting to send zippy is I can set the daughter up with a completely reliable and safe (and darn good lookin') mode of transportation for $1200 (assuming it passes smog). The alternative, as you point out, would be to buy another Honda on the left coast. I'm buying the daughter a premier education; I'm not buying her a new car. She's very damn smart, but she's a bit uneducated in the realm of used car sales. I don't have the time to come out and shop with her. So, if she'll pass, Zippy seems like the best choice.

Reply to
Ari Rankum

good on you. smart move.

take care she doesn't get fleeced on the smog. ca dmv have a list of "smog only" stations and i recommend she use one. they're not allowed to repair, so they have no interest in trying to sell cats [or other "smog upgrades"] she won't need.

Reply to
jim beam