I broke my dipstick...

Hi All

Yesterday I was changing the oil on my 96 850. I pullout out the dipstick and about half of the red plastic handle came off in my hand. I am cheap. I don't want to buy a new stick.

Can anyone reccomend some good glue to secure the handle back on? I know that super glue might not withstand the heat what other options do I have?

Reply to
Russ

jb-weld. it belongs in everyone's toolkit.

-K

Reply to
Kelsey Cummings

If it's plastic to plastic, you might be able to bind it with nylon thread embedded in epoxy. Straight gluing never works very well on plastic or metal. Still might be as cheap to look at the wreckers.

Reply to
jg

You'll never get glue to stick for long. Go find a good used one at a junkyard.

Reply to
James Sweet

I would try GOOP for autos. It comes in a red tube and is GREAT. It pretty much will bond anything.

Reply to
Jamie

Reply to
Paul Rood

I'd just find a dipstick at a junkyard. I wouldn't be suprised if it was cheaper than the glue!

Reply to
sean.m.cunningham

The plastic probably broke because it is becoming brittle - if you glue it you can count on it to break somewhere else. I'm cheap too, but this sounds like a losing proposition.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Glue alone won't help. I used stranded wire, with superglue to bind it all in place. This repair is at least 2 years old:

just dug around in my parts boxes to find the ring.. It's a littlesmall, but it works. -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner