faulty gears? transmission?

So I have a 1988 volvo 749 gle. It was running great until a few weeks ago. When I reverse, it doesn't roll back normally, I have to apply the gas pedal with a lot more pressure, and then it finally jumps and spurts backwards..and this continues till I've finally done my parrallel parking. Also, when i move forward, my car rattles and shakes and doesnt go more than 5 miles per hr till about a minute. the more i increase the gas, the more noise it'll make till it's at 45mph. when I am on a hill, if I don't have my brakes on, my car rolls backwards when I apply the gas until it fianlly catches..which could be about 4 seconds. Note, this is an automatic.

any ideas? Thanks!

Phil

Reply to
philonochie

I know you have probably done this but sometimes it is easier to start at the obvious. Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Allen

Reply to
Allen