Is this reasonable? Wiper "transmission" and left passenger door lock s80 1999

Took the car in for a quote at an import repair shop (not Volvo). Their quote to repair the "Wiper Motor transmission?" was $841. To fix
the left passenger door lock (it won't unlock with the remote; only manually) was $450.00. These just see high enough to be obscene. Anyone with any recommendations? We're likely going to take it to a different shop tomorrow.
Yours, Bill www.rlstate.info - Charlotte home foreclosures
Not reasonable, but Volvo parts are sometimes exspensive, find a Volvo specialty shop, usually a factory trained tech. has started his own business and let him know you need him for the long term, also ask about used parts for the repair.
sjoblom1 wrote:

i THINK THEY ARE SAYING "GO ELSEWHERE" AS THIS IS SILLY PRICING
John Robertson wrote:

When will it all stop? It seems like this car has need for one repair after the other. Maybe it's just a car that always wants someone TOUCHING it. Is there any way to keep the thing from imploding?
-Bill

<snip>
Sometimes expensive? I've been working on BMWs and the Volvo parts department left me with a surreal sense of sticker shock. e.g., $254 for a blower motor! I took it apart, oiled it, and put it back in just this morning. Nice and quiet now. Here's hoping I don't need to do it more than once a year. (Yes, Virginia, the Bimmer parts are less expensive. Much.)
JRE
(Recently acquired a '95 850.)
Door lock: I have changed 3 of them (Volvo parts) on my 1998 S70 for less then they are quoting you for one. www.volvospeed.com (repairs and maintenance) will show you how to do it. If one has given up already, you can rest assured the other ones will do the same in the not so distant future...
For sure, keep looking.
Seek a small shop that specializes in old Volvos: they're out there.
The wiper transmission could be a real bear to repair, as it is waaaaaay under the dash, inaccessible, and would seem to require a lot of stuff be removed to access it.