Power lock on front passenger door is stuck- '89

Hello,

I have a toyota camry '89. My front passenger door has been stuck in the locked position for 3-4 weeks now. I read about the recall problem on some relay which may cause the doors to be stuck and not open. But when I took it to the dealership, they showed me a bill for $550. I pointed out that I read that this was a recall problem. They said it was and said that they would replace the relay which was recalled but they dont have it. since they had to back order the relay they had asked me to call later. I called them again yesterday but they dont have it and he said that he would buzz me if anything changed.

well, I am just pissed. I really dont mind since it is a really old car and I am some nth owner now. But can anyone help me out with disconnecting the power door thing so atleast I can use it as a manual lock? My key also does not open the door manually.

This is the description of my problem.

When I turn the key on my driver side door, all the locks jump up and unlock but my passenger door just jumps a little bit but never opens up. I can hear it clicking whenever I press the door lock button or try to open the door manually and it also visibly jumps a little bit. But, its like something is holding it down and not letting it come up fully.

This is my first car and I would like to keep it in good condition till I have it. Any advice? I heard about the chilton manual but does it have proper diagrams for door problems? Sorry if I sound dumb, I'll make sure I dont stay that way for long.

Thanks kris

Reply to
mysteryguy

I've only fixed aftermarket door locks but they all work the same. The push-pull solonoid (motor) is probably bad. You can buy an non-yota one for $5-12. Take the door panel off and find the solonoid -- connected to door lock with a thin metal bar (stiff wire). You might be able to unfreese the solonoid by amually pushing arm back and forth -- and it may then work for awhile longer. If that doesn't work either unplug, remove, or disconnect the stiff wire from that solonoid. You could move it to say a back door and use the back one up front.

Reply to
Wolfgang

hello there,

Thank you for your help. I will try it first thing in the morning. But my door is locked shut, I dont know if I can take the door panel off. I remember a page showing how to open the door panel of a toyota corolla when I was googling for a solution. I will try to use that tomorrow morning. lets see how it goes.

Kris

Reply to
mysteryguy