J. Sweet: source for temp sensor?

Re: 92 740 turbo wagon B230FT.... dash temp gauge.....

I pulled off the eng. coolant temp sensor conn. and jumped it....the gauge then went full-scale, so that shows that there is no abnormal external resistance. It may not be the normal failure mode for a thermistor...but apparently that is what is bad.

Who has it for $20.00? Rockauto.com was recommended to me as a cheap place to get Volvo parts, but I seem to recall pricing new sensor at $40.00

Also, I found out from the brother that he removed the thermostat. The car has been running only about 185 F or so, as the weather is not hot yet. So I am wondering if the engine could be running open-loop all the time, and so using a lot more gas than normal? But I don't have the exact number on when (what temp) the ECU switches to closed-loop. I think the normal range of temps is 195-210, right?

Is there some slight change in idle speed or something to show that the ECU has switched to closed-loop?

thanks, geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

FCP Groton, part number 1362645

It's an aftermarket part, but for something like the guage sensor, it wouldn't bother me to use one.

Reply to
James Sweet

James, thanks....got a new sensor coming from FCP groton.

Question is, how is the old one removed from the block? You can't get a deep socket on it, as the plastic connector body is wider than the metal hex-part. there is no clearance for a wrench either. Whatever, it looks like the intake manifold has to come off in order to remove it.

It looks like the only way is to either break the plastic conn. part of temp sensor off, or does it disconnect somehow? Obviously it can't screw in/out of the sensor body as you would be twisting the wires up.

And this is the forward one...one that you can easily get your hand on!

Thanks, Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

Unbolt the intake manifold, pull it out of the way, and use a 19mm box end wrench, it'll come right out. It looks imposing, but it's only about 10 bolts to pull the manifold, you don't even have to remove the fuel rail, just unbolt the manifold and tug it away far enough to get to the sensor.

Reply to
James Sweet