broken radiator-hose connection fixable?

the upper radiator-hose connection snapped-off, hose intact, and the connection appears to be plastic. on a volvo? does a radiator have replaceable parts or do you have to replace the whole thing in this situation? it appears that both sides of the radiator have plastic components top to bottom. thanks any info. art, '97 960 wagon

Reply to
Art McGinn

This happened on my 91 740 wagon. It needed a new radiator (this occured in

2000). The new radiator had a metal insert inside the plastic effectively beefing it up. I was very much surprised at the all-plastic construction but I believe the reinforcement takes care of the problem.

JJ

Reply to
John Jensen

No, don't even try. Replace the awful plastic tank radiator with a new aftermarket metal tank rad, that's something that should NEVER have been made of plastic, they *always* fail catastrophically and dump all the coolant almost instantly, makes me wonder how many engines have been ruined by that.

Reply to
James Sweet

grim. surprising. not acceptable from volvo. what next, one hates to think. replacement runs about 300 beans plus labor, it appears. otherwise...thanks guys.

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Art McGinn

A caveat, though: even the aftermarket metal ones have weak points. While installing the reservoir hose on the nipple of an aftermarket radiator, the metal nipple pulled partially out of the radiator - it was crimped in, not soldered. Last time I used one of the 'grippy' type hoses...

Reply to
mjc1

Is that online? The Nissens 3 row radiators for 200 and 700 series are around $200, I'm not sure if the one for a 960 is different.

Reply to
James Sweet

as a followup, the otherwise excellent radiator was -- and is -- unfixable and had to be replaced. total cost $320 including labor. i hope the guy who made v.p. for suggesting plastic radiator components gags on his foie gras. art

Art McG>

Reply to
Art McGinn

Uh, yes. Also be on the lookout for plastic heater and bypass hose connectors which can after several years just break into two pieces at the most inopportune time. Usually on a sunday when the parts department is closed.

Reply to
Roadie