K n N air filter question

I have a 1989 DL Volvo. I put in one of these and have experienced the engine running smoother as well as a little more pep. I had read on this message board people saying that the filter can hurt the engine is this true?

I thought this type of filter cleans the air better and allows more air into the system....Does it damage the car?

Pete

Reply to
PETER MITCHELL

Say not the Struggle nought Availeth

It might hurt the engine if you don't re-oil it correctly when you clean it out. Too much can screw up MAF sensors and too little can cause dirt not to be caught.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

i have been running a k&n cone filter for two years...and 30k miles...no problems yet...my 940 has 240,000 miles on it......i think i must have removed about 5 lbs of plastic on the facory air box system that i replaced...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I believe they allow better air flow but I've also heard that they let more dirt through as well.

Reply to
Tangy

That's usually the trade off with all filters.

Reply to
jg

Haven't you guys heard, K&N do a flat filter for the airbox that is just as good and what's more is quiet as well.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Noisy air filters?, that's really getting down to it.

Reply to
jg