2004 F150 - K&N Filter

All,

I recently purchased a F150 2004 FX4 SuperCrew with the 5.4 engine. A friend of mine this past weekend started raving about the K&N air filters - and how we could immediately tell a difference in performance the first time he cranked his truck after he put it in.

Can anyone shed any opinions on these filters? Gas mileage increase? Horsepower boost?

I'm a first time truck owner - and first time Ford owner - just looking to get the best results from this vehicle.

Thanks!

Chris Lang

Reply to
Chris Lang

Save your money. Unless you are going to be racing your truck, you won't be able to tell the difference. At normal rpm levels, the stock air filter should do just fine.

I have a 2004 F-150 4x4 Extended Cab Lariat and I just can't see a K&N air filter making enough difference. I have run one in my 1994 Corvette when I was racing it and it does make a slight difference, but not much.

Reply to
Mark Jones

snake oil

phlogiston

crap

Reply to
TranSurgeon

My dad has a 98 gmc half ton (vortec 350) that he uses a K&N filter in...it performs just fine with the stock filter ....with the K&N it seems to wind up a little quicker and hada minor increase in mileage....so far i have no complaints..try it for yourself and judge from there

Reply to
Jay Anderson

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I've had K&N filters on a couple different vehicles. Didn't notice a thing as far as horsepower goes. I keep a log with each vehicle to track mileage etc and didn't notice any change in gas mileage on any of 'em. The only benefit I can see is not having to buy another air filter again. Wash the K&N, let it dry, oil it and reinstall it. Some will argue a paper element filter traps more dirt than a K&N style and using a K&N style filter will reduce the longevity of your engine. To that I say horsecrap. I just sold my '91 4Runner with 205k on the clock. Ran a K&N filter on it since it was 2 years old. It would only eat 1/2 quart of oil between changes and I *NEVER* found dust or dirt in the intake when cleaning and reoiling the filter.

Follow the owner's manual maintenance schedule and you'll be fine.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I put a K&N factory replacement in my '00 Jeep Wrangler, oiled it well, etc. A few months later I had the intake tube between the filter box and throttle body off. I noticed a film of fine dust on the inside surface of the tube. That stuff was getting in the engine. Put in my OEM filter immediately.

IMO K&N filters are fine for engines that are disassembled often, like racing engines, but for everyday use they let too much crud pass. Despite the marketing hype, there is a reason why it's less restrictive...it simply doesn't filter as well.

I think the long-term mileage and performance benefits are far outweighed by the potential damage the filters can cause.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I would worry about screwing up the warranty. Not that I put much stock in K&N filters.

Reply to
pete

I have a k&n FIPK.. in my 5.4L F250...

I think the fipk is well worth it if you plan on going further with modifications... for example i installed a diablo performance programmer... and i plan on doing a high performance MAF sensor and dual exhaust...

Also i dont have to touch my filter for 50k miles

Reply to
Mercury

"Mercury" wrote in new

And if you believe that you don`t like your truck much!!!!!!!!!!!!! KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

care to elaborate...?

I dont drive in extremely dusty conditions, I look at my K&N after 20k miles and it looks fine to me... heck maybe ill take it off and check the inside of the intake tube... just to make sure theres no foreign material in there... I doubt there is...

Well I know K&N Pass C.A.R.B standards this must say something about the product... if it were letting anything bad through then it would obviously not pass C.A.R.B (California Air Resources board) they have a website if you care to check it out>>>

and care for my truck... yes I do... K&N says you dont have to oil and clean the filter for 50k miles... i expect to check mine and verify that its failry clean @ 30,000.....

I think this is a lot better then blowing money on paper elements. Less waste.

There is more airflow with a FIPK so that means more air to atomize the fuel, the better atomization the better the fuel burns, the better the fuel burns the better the truck / car runs, there fore helping with response and gas milege... and I did see a slight difference in gas milege... i was getting 12 - 13 .. and with the k&n i got 13 to 14mpg... with the performance tuner installed (where I burn super only because it advances the timing) I am seeing gas milege figures from 14 - 15 MPG

Yeah sure opinions are opinions... I base all of my thoughts on facts however... first person facts in this case...

I was just courious how you know how and how well I care for my truck... that way you can tell me what im doing wrong so i can change...

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Mercury

Reply to
Michelle P

correct

50 % more dirt

'stock' filter catches 98 % of the dirt; K$N catches 97 %

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Who the hell told you THAT? 50k miles of caked on road goo is going to degrade the airflow significantly.. You'd be better off cleaning and reoiling at regular intervals.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Don't wash your truck for a week and just drive it on the freeway. All that dirt? It's all being sucked into that filter. Extremely dusty means just that EXTREMELY dusty..

All the CARB sticker means is that it doesn't interfere with or degrade the performance of the smog control devices installed on the car.

Define "fairly clean"

Depending on my mood at the time, I would agree with that.

Exactly the opposite effects I got whan I "chipped" my truck. (Superchips ECM reprogrammer) I went from nearly 11 mpg to a tick over 9 mpg.

Which almost directly contradict *MY* 1st person experience with a K&N FIPK.

50k between filter cleanings for starters. Don't rely on the manufacturer to tell you how often to clean it. Clean it when it's dirty.
Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

more airflow=less filtration.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

how can 1% difference mean 50% more dirt.... you people pull numbers out of the air....

Reply to
Mercury

Thats plain asnine... the inlet to the air filter is towards the front bottom of the truck.. has nothing to do with how dirty it is....

So how is it going to affect warrentee unless they can prove the k&n caused the damage?

Like new clean Its also proven that a dirty K&N filter works fine too.... the dirt helps to trap more dirt

Maybe superchips does something different then predator.... what truck did you have? did you change your driving habits with the chip?

what can i tell ya?

Ill clean it when i feel it is necessary... currently at 22000 miles it looks new

Reply to
Mercury

Obviously, you missed the point. All that dirt and crud all over the outside is the SAME dirt and crud being filtered by your intake. Clutch and brake dust, soot, road dirt etc.. Just 'cuz it's paved doesn't mean it's "clean"

WTF does CARB certification have to do with warranties? CARB has to do with air quality. If the product adversely affects the allowed emissions limits, the product doesn't get a CARB number. You really should try to read what was written instead of jumping to conclusions.

My truck is almost 3 years old. It's recently been detailed but it's in no way like "new clean".

and more dirt = less airflow.

'02 F350 CC 4x4 Long bed, 6.8l V10. Performance is definitely better, tranny shifts MUCH nicer now, mileage is definitely down. (I keep a log as I write off everything on this truck for business)

It's your truck. Knock yourself out, man.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

glad you asked

if the stock filter allows 2 % of the dirt thru, and a K$N allows 3 % thru, then the K$N is allowing 50 % more to pass

3/2 = 1/50 =150 %

there now, that wasn't so difficult, was it ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

sory man the warrentee thing was meant to go to another person....

k&n wont void a warrenteee unless they can prove the damage covered under the warrentee was caused by the k&n

well... im willing to check out the functionality of the k"&n. i assume the best way is to remove the filter element and feel the inside of the tube for dirt?

If its bad which i dont think it will be then i guess i aught to go back to stock....

Reply to
Mercury