Looking for a 940. Anything I should know?

Hi All Love the collective wisdom found in here.

I'm looking for a 940. I believe that's the last of the old engine/rear wheel drive Volvos... Anyway, I've been out of the market for a long time and was wondering if there is anything I should know about the car. Is there a better year, a bad year... That sort of thing.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Don B.

In article , Don B. wrote: :Hi All :Love the collective wisdom found in here. : :I'm looking for a 940. I believe that's the last of the old engine/rear wheel :drive Volvos... :Anyway, I've been out of the market for a long time and was wondering if there :is anything :I should know about the car. Is there a better year, a bad year... That sort of :thing. : :Thanks for any help. :

i have had two '91 940T sedans, and driven lots of 700 series as loaners when the 940s are in for service.

the turbo makes the car - the non-turbo 700 series just don't satisfy me, and likely won't satisfy you after you drive the turbo version. the turbo 700s are enough like the 940T in drive train for me to feel the same would be true of the non-turbo 940s.-

the 940 is a smoother and gentler car than the 700 series.

both my '91s were purchased at an advanced age, and they were no more trouble than any other ten year old car (but have your mechanic check any such out before you buy.

Reply to
arthur wouk

If you get one that's been reasonably well maintained then you can't lose, all the 900 series cars were excellent, as well as most of the 700's.

Reply to
James Sweet

Go for 1996 - 1998 model as has Glass moonroof and best version is GLE. Best engine is B230FT in States.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Wasn't the 940 not sold after 1995 in North America? I thought it was the

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I should have mentioned that I am indeed in the States! I believe you are correct. I have not seen a 940 listed past 1995. And few of those. People seem to hang on to them.

I was thinking that I would avoid the turbo since I had one on my 740 and around town (which is the majority of my driving) it really didn't seem to acomplish much.

Reply to
Don B.

I have said it before, IMHO You can't beat a 94 940 non turbo with Regina fuel injection. Regina doesn't use the expensive air mass sensor, just a temp sensor in the intake. Crank position sensor will fail sooner or later and leave you stopped, so buy one and carry it in the car. Parking light lenses are on eBay. Don't try to use a cheap belt on the AC Compressor, it will squeal in 1000mi.

As you can see below I have had 3. No engine repairs! No transmission repairs! Everything else is DIY and listed on the web, here or elsewhere. I will drive 94 940s till I can't get any more,.

Al

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Thanks! That sounds like good info. Now I just have find a good low milage one.

Reply to
Don B.

Don't know of any specific problems with the 6 but, I had such good luck with the 4 I thought I should stay with it...

Reply to
Don B.

the 940 "platform" is a great buy for the $$...imho...i owned one of the "new generation" volvos and sold it off..going back to the 90's body & chassis...i live in colorado, so after owning a 94 940 (non turbo) i elected for the 940 turbo..as a project car...i found one on eBay for a reasonable price...and started "fixing it up" w/IPD performance parts, and other "tweeks"...the car has turned out to be a nice driver...esp up here @ 5k feet alt..w/the boost from the turbo and all...i picked up the car w/aprox 190k miles on it...it now has

225k...here is the dyno chart....i am trying to get to the 0 - 60 times in the 6-8 sec range ... still a bit to go, but gettin close...the car body is a nice design...easy to work on, not too complicated electronics..(but, by this time volvo was headed in that direction)...you wonf go wrong w/the 940/960 models...anything w < 200k miles should have pleanty of life left...and, there are pleanty of parts on eBay for maint and fixing up...i would go w/the turbo....just for the "punch" of the performance gain...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Low mileage, high mileage, doesn't really matter, look for a well maintained one.

Reply to
James Sweet

i agree...miliage is almost irrelevent.....it is all inthe maint records...or indicators....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I agree... The only thing that has been a bit of a problem is the interior. Mechanical parts can be replaced or repaired for a reasonable price. But, oh my GOD what it cost to keep the interior looking good. That's the main reason I have been looking for a low miliage 940.

Reply to
Don B.

true...there are a lot of plastic trip pieces...and other small items...but, all in all, the items can be repaired or found on eBay...i have found bulbs, dome lights, wood trim...etc...lots of stuff avail out there w/a bit of hunting....check out my dyno run a few weeks ago... >>>

we are squezzing a bit of power out of it...it drives smooth and true...

there are a few 940's on eBay now...i personally would go for the 940t wagon...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Dont' know how the automatic transmission is, but my 91 940, non turbo, had to get a new manual transmission at 155K. 5th gear started tho whine. Other than that there's been trouble with the engine electronics. This car has been owned by my father since 95, and is owned by me now. In that time it has clocked up 167K and the following has been replaced: ECU, AMM, Lamda, Alternator, Front rotors, clutch(same time as trans.), exhaust, cooland sensor, in-tank fuel pump and service items like brake pads timing belt oil etc. Still drives very good, engine working like new, very little rust, great car, but could do with some more power. If you decide to go for a non-turbo look for the B230FB engine as it's the most powerful 8-valve NA engine fittet to the 940. It's only 130 bhp but it has ha flat torque curve (137ft.lb) from 3K-5K. No work has been done on the engine besides regular oil changes. When i decided to check the valves for adjustment at 160K they where all within spec, and they have never been adjusted before!

Reply to
Joachim Østberg

Aw automatics can last for ever.

Look below; On the 86 240 I changed the fluid, filter, the tail stock bushing and the Over Drive sol once that's it. On the Green 940 I changed the fluid, filter and OverDreie Relay once. The bushing was upgraded to a roller bearing about 1990. On the Maroon 940 I haven't touched the trans. On the white 940 I haven't touched the trans. OD light comes on for a couple min now and then so I need to solder the OD relay soon...or use the old one from the Green 940.

N'uf Said