M47 towing

Hi folks.....

1987 240 wagon w/M47 manual trans; can it be towed in neutral w/rear wheels on ground? My expensive ShopKey subscription gives me no clue. I don't believe this customer of mine has the wits to R&R a drivesahft after he moves.

thanks

wharf rat

Reply to
dupree8995

Depends. You don't say why it needs towing. Neutral isolates the crank from the driveshaft. If your problem is the engine you can tow. Better and safer to put it on a trailer if you can.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

IIRC, it is not recommended for other than short, low speed "emergencies."

Reply to
zencraps

It's a manual transmission with no overdrive. Put it in neutral and tow all you want. Your can't hurt anything in that gearbox. Unlike the early BW35's that had a rear pump that could be driven by the rear wheels and would overheat to the point where flames would shoot out of the dipstick, the M47 won't do anything but spin the output shaft at normal operating speeds.

Bob

Reply to
User