Replace Manual Trans w/ Auto

OK, being the some what resident jeep expert at work a friend asked me a question that I didn't quite know how to answer. I know y'all will know. Seems he has a new to him 88 YJ with the Peugeot transmission. Apparently like many Peugeots it is toast. The rest of the Jeep is stock and in good shape for its age. He wants to replace the dead manual trans with an automatic.

His question to me is what does this entail? Off the top of my head I thought he'd have to acquire the auto trans, bell housing and shift linkage. New front and rear drive shafts because the auto is longer and would move the transfer case back. (Might be wrong there) And some way to control the shifting of the auto (is this vintage Jeep's auto trans computer controlled?) Anything I forgot or got wrong?

Given that cost is an object is it feasible to do this swap?

TIA Dean

anyone cares this used to go to monogramsinc.com.)

Reply to
Dean

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III