More Typical Very Old Car Experience

You may be right, it might be a Maytag Neptune and not Calypso. I'm continually using the wrong name.

Unfortunately, my new Kenmore washer was returned after delivery and replaced by a new one. The computer had not been programmed properly and the function "add a garment" was missing.

Btw, the Kenmore HE3T has 2 computers. One main CPU and a second one whose only purpose is to control the electric motor making the drum spins. That CPU gets so hot, it has a HUGE heat sink. Also, replacing the main CPU will cost you $400 for the part alone, before taxes and installation. That's not cheap in my book.

P.S. Get a HE3T, it's a wonderful beast weighting ~ 320 pounds and has 4 shocks, 2 coil springs, 150 pounds of concrete and the drums spins at 72MPH (1200RPM X diameter of drum).

Reply to
Patrick

I agree. It's funny, my participation in this topic started with me taking exception to the author of the article that was skeptical of an older car that "ran like a top". I know that there are many fine older cars out there that are not a headache to keep in good repair.

Then someone said, yes, but try that with a modern car. I think the modern ones are even better so I ended up arguing that. In the end, the Volvo's are nicer cars than the domestics, no matter what year you are talking.

Reply to
Spanky

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the first few years of production of the S80 did NOT have air bags that adjust depending on any factor whatsoever.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I remember reading about it and finding out that BMW had it for years, but not Volvo.

Older Volvos espoused the philos>

Reply to
Patrick

James, I have more than 20 years of marketing/R&D experience behind me. Trust me, things are made cheaper. From house to dishwashers, building obsolence in a new product is a way of life nowadays. It doesn't pay to build a product the way it was made in the 50s, 60s and

70s.

Regarding the Kenmore Elite HE3T, you will be glad to know that it is NOT made in the USA, but in Germany. I forgot the name, but it is sold in Europe under another brand name. And though it only makes about 2-3 years it is available in the USA, it has been sold in Europe for the last 30+ years. Build quality is excellent, though slowly slipping.

It is a far superior product to any non-commercial cloth washers sold in the USA. Front loading are resources effective and achieve a higher level of cleaning than top loading. Something like 1/4 to 1/5 the electricity cost and 1/3 the water consumed, compared with top loading machine. I researched washers for a month before buying it.

Reply to
Patrick

Yes, you are wrong. The S80 had dual sensitivity airbags right from the first model year, 1999.

Reply to
Spanky

Funny you should mention it, I've been in the market for a new front loading washer and a dryer, but I'm paranoid of getting some cheap piece of crap that'll fall apart. I'll remember that model and check it out.

Reply to
James Sweet

Bill, the idea that the computers in modern cars are not reliable is in direct opposition to my own observation of 20 or 30 newer Volvos that are owned and driven by family, friends and acquaintances of mine on a daily basis. These cars span the last 10 years of production. If these computers were failing at a rate that was significant, how come none of the Volvo owners that I know are experiencing any computer failures?

I'm not saying there are zero failures when the entire world fleet is considered, just that the rate is very low. Furthermore, I would be willing to bet that the majority of computer failures are caused by human error, i.e.. incorrect jump starting procedure, incorrect battery replacement procedure, incorrectly wired electrical "add-ons", etc. etc.

There's no doubt that a modern multi-plexed wiring system is different from the type of wiring we are all familiar with and it does not lend itself to owner modifications. A typical luxury car with a conventional electrical system will have 3 miles of wire weighing hundreds of pounds and thousands of electrical connections. Multi-plexing reduces this by a dramatic amount. It's like having a specially designed automotive Ethernet network. Multiplexing means fewer wires, fewer connectors, and fewer terminals. This results in less materials to chafe, corrode. shake loose, etc. In addition, troubleshooting or diagnosis of a problem is easier although the diagnostic equipment is more complex. Less connections = less problems. Cars are getting better and easier to diagnose but you won't be able to track down an electrical problem with a free Saturday afternoon and a multi-meter. A specialized technician and sophisticated equipment will spot the problem in minutes.

Reply to
Spanky

"Spanky" skrev i en meddelelse news:0glQb.134938$xy6.567544@attbi_s02...

Well I think Patrick is right. The following is qouted from Volvo VADIS:

"1 stage deployment The front airbags had 1-stage deployment in model year 1999-2000 cars. When the SRS (supplemental restraint system) control module decides to deploy the airbags, deployment occurs at the same force.

2 stage deployment The front airbags have 2-stage deployment in cars from model year 2001. When the SRS (supplemental restraint system) control module deploys the front airbags, both stages are deployed. By varying the time between the two deployments, softer airbag deployment is achieved in the event of a low speed collision"

However The SRS/SIPS is operating with 2 collision levels, which is being used by the control module to evaluate whether to deploy only the seat belt retentioner or the airbags or both.

In the year 2001 models SRS/SIPS is operating with 5 levels.

Per Hauge

Reply to
Per Hauge

Spanky, My response was to poster saying that newer cars of same cost (in old dollars) w/ same maintenance expenditures would outlast older cars. One only has to look at the nearby post "Has anyone worn out an 850 yet?" to see some of the problems and associated costs on the newer Volvos, and the end of run 850s were a lot better than the first few years of the V70. In fact JW (who was claiming new Volvos are better made and will outlast old ones) was complaining about the $$ problems he was having w/ a '96 850. Possibly the newer ones are as well made as the 240, but the added sophistication of the systems and expense of maintenance/parts IMHO will result in them being dumped long before 20 years -- just way too much $$ to keep them going, unlike the older

240.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

No, I was correct all along. The section you are quoting from VADIS is mostly speaking of deploying the air bags at two different intensities depending upon the force of the collision. That was implemented in 2001 models. Patrick and I were discussing the 2 collision level sensor (depending upon whether the occupant is belted or not). This 2 collision level sensor was deployed on the first S80's (1999 and up). In 2001 (in response to the criticisms that the bags were too sensitive) they upgraded the collision level sensor to operate with 5 levels.

As you can see, airbag deployment is more sophisticated than many realize.

Reply to
Spanky

Well I guess I got confused about your disscusion om "sensitive airbags" In my opinion its the sensor system that operates with different levels of sensitivity, as I also wrote: 2 in 1999 and 5 from 2001. Airbags are sensitive to electrical signals, but I dont think this is the issue.

"Spanky" skrev i en meddelelse news:_yVQb.114719$Rc4.885394@attbi_s54...

Reply to
Per Hauge

my `84 240dl is 197k old and i love her very much. thank you for dealing with my youthful abusiveness (curbs) and not abandoning me.

considering doing silly things like going to Crazy Ray's and ripping a

740T turbo setup out for some new life.

should probably fix that master cylinder first though. :-]

Reply to
myren

that strikes me as a rather good reason to believe the first quote. how many people need 240 HP cars? they're not strong thinkers and decide they need to plunk down a huge chunk of change to drive 55 in the left lane. its always that asshole in the beemer. ;-] there's something to be said for not having ride control so advanced you have no idea how fast^H^H^H^Hslow you're going (talking on your cell phone).

dont speak to me about performance when you drive a front wheel drive car (jest! jest! flamesuit on).

unless its awd, which is aceptable. in another six years when awd comes with some sort of quattro/skyline/evo drive controller more or less standard, i can understand the performance line a lot better.

i do see the "common" car becoming more performance aware, which is nice and cute. before you drove a sports car or other random gem you could get rediculous bolt on horsepower for. but the average car just wouldnt cut it. this is an interesting phenomenon i hadnt really put my finger on before.

i am sincerely worried about the aftermarket world though. before the gems got made into gods: you knew they were good, so you kept building new aftermarket bolt ons. now every car and their mother begs for aftermarket but there's not enough people buying. who needs aftermarket when you've got 240 HP, right?

myren

Reply to
myren

the other great joy about old cars is you can repair them yourself unlike a lot of modern cars. the comparitive maintence cost of DIY versus having to go somewhere is an order of magnitude. compound this with being able to junk yard the controller arm for my 84 240dl and there's no way i could afford a new car.

Reply to
myren