Mysterious Rain Ingress

'92 940 GL with 218,000Km. In heavy rain or going through the car wash (with under-body spray) there's no indication of any water ingress, but twice now in light rain the carpet behind the driver's seat has become wet and the car ends up smelling like a wet sheep until I dry it out. I asked Volvo to check it out and they did the obvious (without unbolting anything) and found nothing. Since the door sills don't get wet I suspect it's coming from below, but there's an exhaust pipe I can't see past; however, you'd think the problem would be worse in heavy rain if it was coming from below, wouldn't you. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Cheers

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

Check that the water is not getting in via the door window seals or the door seals themselves. Also check that it is not coming from the front portion and running back to the passenger side. If the water tastes sweet then it is coolant leak into interior running back to rear (goes under the carpeting). I had a very similar situation with a '92 945 where the water was coming in at left front wiring grommet just in front of door which goes through the inside wall of the wing. Stuck the grommet back into position and no more wet inside.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

This is probably not the most likely in your case, but check the wiring sheaths where the wires go from the body into the doors. I had the driver's door one crack, resulting in mysterious wet floors when it rained. Water was trailing down the inside edge of the door outside the weather seal and running in through a crack in the wire tube.

Reply to
James Sweet