Newbie with a '73 144 question

Hi there, I just picked up a bright orange 144 in seemingly great condition, something about recapturing childhood memories or some such nonsense! Runs strong with no hesitation. The only thing that seems wrong with it is that when idling (at traffic lights, etc.) after extended driving (stint on the freeway) the idle flucuates and the oil light flashes sporadically. I've checked the oil level and it is fine. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Reply to
hmm

You could check the oilpressure sensor cause it's not unusual this item wear out had similar problems with a 240 some time ago and was fixed by replacing it good luck and enjoy your 144 great to see those old volvos on the roads Nightmare "hmm" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Nightmare

I'm with Nightmare - I had to replace the oil pressure sender on my 145 because it was leaking and the oil light was coming on at idle.

You could be flirting with vapor lock under those conditions. The fuel pump on my engine was insulated from the block by some sort of spacer.

Mike

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks guys. I'm lookingf forward to getting reacy. If you're interested, pics of the car can be seen at:

hmm

Top post: That last one was supposed to read "I'm looking forward to getting greasy". My typing skills go down when I'm holding a baby!

Reply to
hmm

Sweet looking car, looks brand new and its 30 years old!

Reply to
Rob Guenther

"Rob Guenther" skrev i meddelandet news:HOPKd.11847$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

A question from a swede: Are all 240's fuel injected in the US? Somehow that crossed my mind.

/Erik Lidén

Reply to
Erik Lidén

Thank you! The inside is really clean, other than the faded fabric on the seats. The driver's side lumbar support is pretty much gone. I'm planning on swapping out the interior from an '89 244. The dash is perfect, unlike most of this era. I must have been really tired when I started this thread, it's a '74 not a '73! I'm going to update pictures as I make changes. Today I took a drive in the rain and discovered that the windshield molding needs to be replaced. But at least the trunk doesn't leak!

Reply to
hmm

Our 240 had a leaky windsheild too... Maybe it was a problem with cars of the era....

It was the first car we "lost" to a leaking windsheild (it also was leaking oil)... tho this leaked on the passenger compartment, our next loss, a 1991 Golf leaked onto its own electrical system - both cars were sold (both leaked oil), fixed by the next owners, and have had good service lives (well we've only parted with the Golf a year, but we see it running strong in town... the people who bought our 240 came back a decade later while visiting their family, saw our 960 outside and decided to stop in..... the

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hi "hmm",

That's a great-looking 144 you have there....... We had a "matching pair" of these '74 140 series, a fuel-injected wagon and a 2-door with twin SU carbs, both bright orange (or was it called "burnt orange?), both with manual gearbox.

One thing about your particular F.I. system, you can easily adjust the idle speed and the mixture yourself. The latter is called "CO" adjustment, but I managed to keep that wagon running nicely for many years without a CO meter. ( Fortunately I didn't have to subject it to "smog"inspection here.) BTY, the mysterious factory tool "5015" for adjusting mixture (CO) turned out to be a regular Hex-key (Allen wrench), bit I can't remember the size.

Good Luck! Enjoy the 144. Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

That's one reason that I prefer 1974 & older cars, they are smog-exempt where we live. This car seems to be rather simple, mechanically speaking. I'm planning on doing the suspension upgrades myself. The guys at IPD are beginning to know me by name!

Reply to
hmm

Yes. Also, from about 1971 all US market 140s (and 1800s) were injected.

However, in Canada, carburetted 240s were optional as late as 1984. I don't think it was legal to bring these models into the US, although I'm sure at least a few have been privately imported.

Reply to
Jim Carriere