OBDII Results are in, problems!

Because the initial thread began as a general inquiry about sparkplugs and then kind of moved around, I thought it best to start anew....

re: 2000 C70 Car running rough, thought was it needed new plugs... Bought a Equus 3030 and here are the results - codes off the unit, description off of Volvoforums.org:

P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire detected P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction P1550 PSPS Out Of Self Test Range

The plot thickens?

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

My first guess would be a bad coil, that could easily cause the first two errors and the rough running. I'm not sure what a PSPS is so I can't say whether that supports my hypothesis.

Reply to
James Sweet

And I was hoping it was just a bad batch of gas....

Thanks James.. let's watch for some other replies...

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

cylinder 2 is misfiring & it's coil is malfunctioning. that seems easy replace one lousy coil out of five (ok, you can play w/ all the connections first.)

power steer>Because the initial thread began as a general inquiry about sparkplugs and

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

Ok, here we go, more info....

The Equus came with software, so after reading the codes and matching them up on a volvo site, I decided to install the software... Great software! It asked for VIN number, etc, and then read the unit for stored codes....

0302 was confirmed as misfired cyinder 2, 0352 came up under stored codes, Ignition coil B Priamery/ Secondary Circuit...

Also under stored codes, 1550.. with a different description... ABS wheel speed sensor malfunction... this one makes sense, about a week or 2 ago, the ABS light went on...

I'd like to see how much of these I can repair myself.. I do want to replace the spark plugs, fine.. that coil, any insight on this? I will google around to see what I can learn about it.. I am handy, but since cars went computer I backed off.. with the r/depression going on, I need to get down and get dirty.. which is fine...

Thank you for your help.. btw, I bought the Innova Equus 3030 at Walmart.com - $44 delivered.. I am amazed with what it came up with and that it spits out a report on the pc... I haven't been this excited since I changed plugs on my 64 Chevy II!

Richard W Langbauer wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Wheel speed sensor errors are often caused by a buildup of crud on the sensor. Normally this is accessible after removing the brake rotor of the offending wheel. Does this car use a coil on plug arrangement, or does it have a distributor?

Reply to
James Sweet

To replace the plugs you have to remove the coils from the top of the cylinder head you will need either a 10mm socket or an 8mm socket to remove the bolts that hold down the coils also mark each coil IE

1,2,3,4,5 so there is no placing the coil back in the wrong cylinder seen it happen very often both on the outside & the inside Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician 2009 ASE Certified Technician 2009
Reply to
Glenn K

thanks.. Volvo I assume?

I have found inx on how to do it so betweent new plugs and the coil, I s/b able to get it done on my own.. of course, with the help of my new OBDII- and everyone's help here.. you, Richard, James... thank you all!

ransley wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Cannot answer.. the manual mentions distributor and coil...

Can someone answer this: I would like to clear the error codes and move swap the coil from cylinder 2 to another, to see if it's the plug or the coil.. can someone advise how to do this, I have searched online.. no luck yet... thanks!

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

I found some great videos on YouTube....

switched coil 1 and 2, and cleared the error codes...

Now I will know one of 2 things.. A- bad coil, B-bad plug... C- since there are no codes - yet - poor connection!

Uncle V> Cannot answer.. the manual mentions distributor and coil...

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

If the coils are connected directly to the plugs then you have coil-on-plug distributorless ignition. Later Volvos used this, but I'm not certain when the change took place.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie