OBDII Codes

What are the ways to read the codes from the computer? OBDII Scan Tool? VAG?

Are there any cheap ways to do this?

Thanks,

Steve

1997 VW Golf K2, Canadian 1.8 L.
Reply to
VW Golf Cart

All of the parts stores around here are selling an OBD II reader for $99.99.

Plug it in under the dash, turn the key to on, and press Read. It will give you the code and what the code refers to.

You have the ability to erase the code.

Reply to
Simplstupd

True, but for $229 you can get the far more useful VAG-COM software and a KEY-COM interface cable.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Harbor Freight has these for $39.99 now.

Once you have the code, though, you'll need to figure out what it means. There are a few web sites with some codes. Bentley manual is another option, although that's another $70-100.

Reply to
ekk

Nice! It is not the exact same as I have seen previously but yes it reads the codes. $40 is cheap!

In my experience the emissions systems are so sensitive these days even 1 random misfire will trip th elight. So will leaving the gas cap loose - had 2 customers this week who did this.

Usually(not necessarily on VW's) resetting the code will take care of the light and it will not come back on. If the light comes right back on you know there is a definite problem.

Reply to
Simplstupd

Andy Carpenter

Hi guys. I have website up

with a very good but inexpensive scan tool available for sale. I am charging $54.99 plus about

4 bucks for shipping. Anyone who mentions this forum in their order will receive a $7 discount! Check it out. The tool works great. It gives you more control over viewing/clearing codes than most models. Plus, it has a nice length cord so that you don't have to spend time with your head underneath your dashboard. Works on 1996 and newer GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and some others. No computer required. This is a self contained unit. It also comes with a handy code booklet to tell you what the codes mean.

Matt Maltarich

mattandleah

Considering that this is a VW forum, I am surprised that you did not mention Volkswagen (and your website does not mention VW either).

Reply to
Papa

I thought the VW OBD-II connector was not the same as the GM/Ford one-

Reply to
Bruce

Bruce.

I understand the same thing. I have a vag-com setup and it will work with some Chrysler products (jeep Cherokees), some Japanese and some European cars in the VAG-COM generic OBII mode. Ford and GM went off and did their own thing. I also read that some time soon all cars sold in the US will have to follow the same standard.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo