one flat, four new tires?

Question: Backed my 98 V70 AWD into a sidewalk and got an unifixable rear flat tire. My mechanic, generally pretty reliable, said it was essential I replace all four tires. They were Pirelli snow tires, two years old. I've heard this before, but alas this was the first time i'd encountered it with this vehicle, which I bought three years ago second hand. Could someone reassure me that it was neccesary for me to drop $500 for four new tires when only one was dead? I understand (or not) that this has something to do with the transmission, the tracs, the viscuous coupling, the Volvo AWD for that particular year??? Furthermore, WHEN does it become essential?. When does the difference in tread size (I'm assuming that is the problem) become a problem with the old tires versus the new ones. After a year? After x amount of tread loss? Sorry if this has been dealt w/ before, thanks for any info.

Reply to
al south

In general there should be less than 1/8' difference in circumference between any one tire and any one of the others.Cf:

Bob

Reply to
User

Thanks Bob. Unforturnately, I didn't measure the new tire against an old tire to see if there was a 1/8 difference in the circumference. Frankly, I had a hard enough time getting that weird little spare tire onto the car. I don't think my mechanic measured the circumference either lol As for the option of "shaving" the new tire to the same tread length of the old tires (in the article you linked, thx)... It's an interesting concept, though if I suggested that in the shop, they would look at me like I was nuts, no? Is that a common procedure? Anyhow, for anyone interested, my present opinion is that the AWD function on the 98 V70 is (was) a SCAM, and that the amount you have to pay to baby the system is not worth it. Better to get a non-AWD and save your money for towing (also, you wouldn't need a flatbed truck to tow it, jeez). I presume Volve has improved the system since then? Btw I live in the frozen canadian north. I'm not against AWD as a concept, but really, what a joke. Can someone name me a time when the AWD on the 98 V70 has gotten them out of a jam?

Reply to
al south

That has been greatly improved with the use of the newer Haldex system on Volvo AWD equipped cars. Try the new V50 T5 AWD.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

I've heard of "tire shaving" for that purpose, so I doubt you'd be laughed at everywhere. Maybe a few places....

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

There aren't many places with the equipment to shave tires. Look for shops that specialize in race prep for street cars. In racing series where street legal tires are required, they're shaved down to reduce heat build-up, tread chunking and increase grip and stability.

Reply to
Mike F

ALso, whenever I have all four replaced, I keep the best of the four, to use if one of the ones on the car takes fatal damage halfway through it's life, This has saved me the cost of new tire(s) several times now.

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner
[ ... ]

Shaving is the primary method for correcting out-of-round tires; any major tire chain (Goodyear, etc.) will have the equipment. The discount or megastore places (Sears, Sams' Club. Wal-Mart, etc.) will take their chances that the tires are close enough to correct with weights. Doesn't always work...

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston