snow tires on XC70?

I recently bought an XC70 and am approaching my first upstate New York winter with AWD. I have always put four snow tires on my Saabs (which of course are not AWD) and am wondering if anyone can relate their experiences with and without snows on the XC70. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike

We live in NH and bought a 2003 XC70 on 1/31/03. The salesman suggested to me that, even with the bad winter we were having last winter, that snow tires probably were not necessary because the Pirellis and AWD woudl provide good traction. We made it through the winter fine, never skidded or got stuck once, and I was on Interstate Highways many times during snowstorms.

Depending on where in Upsate NY that you are, e.g. Buffalo, you may need snow tires or even a tracked vehicle!

Sandy

Reply to
Sandyon66XYZ

Hi, Mike - - -

I'm another one who's often thought of a separate set of wheels for our '98 V70XC, but have never pursued that thought. We're talking about four winters past and another starting. Never a problem.

This car, of course, has the original viscous coupling variety of AWD. It has proved its value more than once, after an initial proof that it could operate when we were at higher elevations getting our Christmas tree the year it was new. The system just dug four nice little holes in the too-soft snow that I blundered into. A more aggressive tread might well have saved the day, but AAA did the job just fine.

Bottom line: If really heavy snow is in your future, you might want to think twice, but the Salesman probably called it right when he noted the chunky tread of your Pirellis.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

If you are interested in traction, as the salesman and previos posts seem to be, then you may be alright with the all-season tires. If you are concerned about safety (braking distance, stable handling and so on) then winter tires is your best choice.

In my work I develop AWD systems, and I have been driving them in winter conditions really alot on different car manufacturers winter test tracks. Believe me when I say that all-season tires should really be called no-season tires...

Living in Sweden, I do not know what your winters are like, but it seems to me that winter tires is a small price to pay for decreasing the risk of getting injured in traffic - or injuring someone else.

/Staffan

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Staffan Nilsson