overdrive solenoid test

87 240 lost 4th gear (overdrive). research in this NG via google/groups led me to remove solenoid which I found had cracked and deteriorated rubber cap at electrical cable end. found wire to solenoid terminal was broken but not sure whether inspection may have caused break of this fragile connection. have removed old rubber, resoldered wire, and sealed end with epoxy. resistance through coil is about 13 ohms per expectation of this NG. can I test by directly applying 12V which would result in about 1 amp through coil? one amp seems like too much for the very fine gauge wire i found. is there some other resistance in series to reduce current?

Jay

Reply to
Jay Tanner
1A should not burn out anything so long as you're not going to be testing, say, overnight. 1A really isnt all that much. If you're really really [over]concerned, try a 6V battery and see if your wires are getting warm. ;)

-Myren

Reply to
myren, lord

One thing about current. If you're used to electronic circuits, current in automotive applications seems excessive. If your used to automotive currents, then current in electronic circuits seems too low to be able to do anything. The solenoid takes full system voltage, and is on all the time the car is running and 4th gear is enabled.

Reply to
Mike F