OVERDRIVE help needed......

Hey guys...

I'm going nucking futz working on the OD on a '63 GT. I'm also not finding a GOOD diagram in the shop manual for the same..... Hope someone can help out....

Also, I am looking for a GOOD 3-wire solenoid and an OD kickdown switch for the same.

Here's what I know so far......

________________________ | _______ | Kickdown Switch | COIL (-) | | | | | 12V IGN | | | "8" | (6) SOLENOID | (4) |_________________GOVERNOR

In the "normally closed" position on the kickdown switch, I get 12V thru the fuse and down to the "8" terminal on the Solenoid.

At 28 MPH, the Governor makes ground, exciting the coil on the solenoid and pulling the plunger down. However, when this happens, it 'chatters' and does not hold the plunger in place. From looking at the solenoid, it appears that the "8" terminal is for battery (+), the "4" terminal goes to the solenoid to close the circuit at 28 MPH and excite the coil in the solenoid, and the "6" terminal excites another part of the solenoid to hold the plunger in place once the plunger is pulled down and an arm on it breaks contact between the "8" and "4" terminals. IF I ground both the "4" and "6" terminals, the plunger pulls down and stays with minimal current draw. As soon as I remove the ground from the "6" terminal, it starts its chattering and pulling 12-14 amps.

The "6" terminal on the solenoid is in a normall open position as far as ground goes and, when the kickdown switch is depressed, makes contact between the "6" terminal on the solenoid and the (-) on the coil.

Does ANY of this make sense to you guys and can you offer any assistance on it?

Thanks,

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

On a 3-wire solenoid, terminals "8" & "4" are the ends of the control winding. Terminal "8" gets +12 V through the normally closed contacts of the kickdown switch; unless the throttle is floored. Terminal "4" is grounded by the governor above engagement speed. Inside the solenoid, there are both operate and hold windings; but they are switched internally. Terminal "6" is grounded by the solenoid while overdrive is engaged. When the throttle is floored, it grounds the ignition points through the normally open contacts of the kickdown switch. This makes the engine miss momentarily, until overdrive disengages, and the ground is taken off terminal "6". They did this because overdrive won't disengage under load. There's another Stude variation with a 2- wire solenoid. There is no terminal "8". One end of the control winding is permanently connected to ground inside the solenoid. The other end is terminal "4". Which gets +12V through a 2-wire governor and the kickdown switch. Terminal "6" grounds the points so the unit can shift. Both these setups eliminate the control relay. They are shown at

(3-wire solenoid); and
(2 wire solenoid). Mike

Reply to
Mike

Lee, I think I may have the kickdown switch and the solenoid. I will check this evening and let you know.

Reply to
blacklarkviii

Thanks Henry,

From what I can see so far, the switch appears to be OK.... I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to a solenoid issue.