Parkheating....

Hi Jordan

I also have a S70 (with a parking heater).

Parking heaters and block heaters have been around since the sixties and they make perfectly good sense. Even more so today with cathalytic converters! The point is not that they heat the coupe but the engine. A coldstart is very stressful to an engine. The oil is cold and at the bottom of the crankhouse, so there is very little lubrication at the first revs. The start engine have to work very hard to get the engine going since the oil is cold and thick. And the cathalytic converter is not working when the engine is cold. A cold engine is very polluting and consumes much more fuel. A common reccomendation is that you use the block heater down to +10 degree celcius

To sum up - a block heater decreases the wear tear on your engine significantly, it reduces your fuel consumption and the environmental impact of your car. It saves money AND the environment!

A parking heater is a different story since it uses the cars own fuel. It does all the things a block heater does but at the cost of burning fuel. My guess is that is about 1 to 1 with an efficient parking heater - The fuel it costs for the parking heater to warm up the engine is about the same amount you save on avoiding a cold start. So a parking heater is more of a convenience equipment, like an AC. I park on the street so I dont have access to a power outlet for a block heater. But I still enjoy a warm car on a cold morning, just as I enjoy an AC-cool car on a hot day.

/Patrik 1999 S70 Fully Loaded ;-)

Reply to
Patrik

Around here we have an anti-idling bylaw. However it's suspended when temperatures get too hot (above 25 Cº, 77º F, I think) or too cold (below 5º C, 40º F). And it's not really enforced anyway. I don't think that this device would violate the bylaw anyway.

Reply to
Mike F

Hi marco

I dont think this is normal behaviour. I have a 99 S70 with a parking heater, and it does not produce any noticable smoke. It is however a bit loud. I suggest you have it checked with your garage.

I'm not sure about your heater but I can tell you how mine works It has three buttons - One for instant start, and two that you use to set a start time. If i push the instant start button the heater starts regardless of outside temp or motor tempature as far as I know, but i never use it.

With the start time buttons you set the time when you want your car warm. If I plan to use the car 08.00 I set the timer to 08.00. When it starts and how long it burns depends on the outside temperature (its about 30-45 minutes)

/Patrik

Reply to
Patrik