Radiator Seal --- How to use???

I have to replace a water pump.

Volvo dealer provided me with all parts I need for these operation. Among them I've got "TUNAP Radiator Seal 242". But I am a kind of puzzled with an application tips from it. I quote /question marks like (???) are mine/: "Add when engine is warm. Open heater valves(???), let the engin run for at least 10 minutes, until the thermostat opens and the heater starts to radiate heat. Then turn off the engine, and again(???) replenish coolant."

That's it.

So, as I see the whole procedure now:

1) drain coolant 2) replace water pump 3) fill coolant 4) add TUNAP 5) engine ON for 10 minutes 6) top up coolant

Do I miss anything here?

Alexei

Reply to
Alexei

On 23/7/04 12:56 PM, in article S7%Lc.48226$ snipped-for-privacy@amsnews02.chello.com, "Alexei" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

You can add in cursing, breaking tools, dropping favourite coffee cup, getting mouth full of coolant and cracking drain screw, but otherwise, that¹s about it.

Cheers

Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

Thanks for inspiring answer. Looking forward for it ;)

Alexei

Reply to
Alexei

I'm surprised that 'radiator seal' is part of a pump replacement kit. Do some informed people believe that all cars should have a dose of radiator seal in the coolant system? The best advise I've usually seen/heard is that if you have a leak, you'll need to fix what's broken, and that radiator seal will only last a short while and possibly block up some needed passageways.

Comments?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ To send email, remove all < > and [ ] and the junk ~ between: [brucepick1] < a~t > [comcast.net]

Alexei wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pick

"Add when engine is warm. Open heater valves(yes, you must do this), let the engine run for at least 10 minutes, until the thermostat opens and the heater starts to radiate heat. Then turn off the engine, and again(yup, do this too) replenish coolant."

This is because it takes a while for the engine to "burp" the coolant system. You may have let air in the system during installation of the pump that needs to be let out, so just follow the directions, and all will be fine.

That being said, I am not sure I'd want any sealant running through my new pump. I never put it in any of my Volvo's, and it's never been an issue. And I don't know anyone else who has either.

cheers

RS

Reply to
Rusty