Red engine block?

My engine block (the lower part) is painted red. I was asked to check with you folks if this is a standard factory thing or if this indicates a rebuild has been done.

Anyone know if they painted engine blocks red at the factory? The car is a 1983 240 Turbo from the US.

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp

standard volvo..

Reply to
john

As "john" already said, this is absolutely normal. I was once told that exchange engines were painted in blue instead of red, but I don't know whether this is true.

Reply to
Lars Trebing

Funny you should mention the red block. My neighbour peeked under the hood when I was doing oils etc. He saw the red block and immediately asked if it was a rebuild. I told him thats the way they come from Volvo and showed him the other two cars engines, both 740's and redblock. Dunno if he's convinced tho. It's a Volvo thing. I've never heard of a rebuild engine being painted red tho, so there you go.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Yeah they've all been red since the B18 aside from the PRV haven't they? I know every cast iron 4 they ever sold in a car was painted reddish orange, that's why these famous engines are often called redblocks.

On that note, does anyone have a good match for the original red? I've got a rebuild in progress and would like to repaint the block something close to the original color.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ford Red engine paint at any auto parts store is very close.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

Mine was red as well, and I've owned it since new. Very good engine it was too!! Herman '83 282 5.0 H.O., formerly 242 Turbo intercooled.

Reply to
Herman

PRV engines are indeed not red. If they where they would probabely be better.

Cheers,

244 144 262C Merc C

Martijn

Reply to
Martijn

The later-model B280 engines didn't have as many problems as the original B28 engines did. But you're right, the PRV engines are not as reliable as the red-blocks are.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

I still think the worst part about them is what a pain they are to work on in comparison, there's just nothing that feels Volvo about them.

Reply to
James Sweet

The French must have olympic articulated arm. Have you ever tried to remove a (square) air inlet manifold of a B27E. One nut is almost unpossible to reach. Fortunately the bottom part of the block is more reliable.

MB

Reply to
Martijn

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is Martijn:

I used to have a 240 with the B27E engine. Actually I liked the engine, it semed well suited to the car, and I got it up to a fairly high milage without any of the more commonly reported problems. But it seems that few share this view. And it returned abysmal MPG.

The only lasting trouble I had with it was, indeed, with that big square inlet manifold. My memory of it is that the bolts that held it down were stupidly short, stupidly small and stupidly too few (four bolts for a six port manifold is patently poor design). It was impossible to clamp the manifold to the block and make all six ports airtight without stressing and eventually stripping the threads.

In the end I dispensed with the bolts and made a couple of clamp plates that went across the top of the manifold, tied down to the block with long J-bolts. Didn't look pretty, but did the job.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

The cast iron blocks were indeed painted red at the factory. Look at a '60's Amazon, 544 or P1800 and the the block will even look a lot like yours.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Thanks for letting me know. I noticed the oilpan was red the first time I went for an oil change but never put it together that the whole block would be red.

One more question answered!

Thanks again, blurp

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 05:05:45 -0500, the illustrious "Michael Cerkowski albany.net"> favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp