89 740 lumbar support

My driver seat lumbar adjustment knob just spins. I was sitting in the seat when I heard a pop and the lumbar when back in. How would I repair the knob so that the lumbar support is functional?

Thanks Rob

89 745 GL
Reply to
R Zych

With a little ingenuity and a bit of hard work. The problem is that a metal clip breaks on one side or the other thus releasing the tension on the nylon(?) belt that is the lumbar support. IPD in Portland, Oregon sell repair kits for the lumbar support which work well (about $US50) but I repaired the one on my 760 by using two heavy gauge plastic straps to anchor one side of the belt to the seat frame. Undoing the very heavy gauge wire clips, at the bottom rear of the seat, is an arduous task and can lead to cuts of the skin on your hands and fingers, so if tackling the job yourself protect any exposed skin/flesh on your person. The back of the seat can be rolled up when the clips are undone, exposing the mechanism and enabling your assessment of the job in hand.

Whichever method you choose the seat clips have to be undone and have very sharp ends.

All the best, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is R Zych:

It is possible. You need to remove the seat and separate the back-support from the base. You will see underneath the back-support how the seat covering is secured - closed with small steel loops that need to be prised open to release the covering.

Once inside you will find that the lumbar tensioner simply tightens up a strap that goes across the back-support. On mine, the fitting at the end had sheared. I repaired it by lashing it together with strong nylon twine. It may be that on yours something else has broken, so you may have to be inventive.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

I always cut the metal clips with heavy diagonal cutters, then replace them with nylon zip ties, it's easier than trying to unbend and remove them.

Reply to
James Sweet

In addition to that clip, there is a plastic screw that the knob pulls on that sometimes breaks. From what you say I think this is your problem. However, either part is quite cheap from the dealer, the clip is sold separately, the plastic screw comes with the assembly which includes the clip. Have one on hand before starting the repair.

Reply to
Mike F