Removing window decals

Is there an easy way to remove decals from the rear window without damaging the anti-fog wires on the glass?

My kids have been out of college for several years and each time I look in the rear view mirror I am reminded why I don't have any money! I wish to remove the decals without damaging the wires. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Jim Giblin

"Jim Giblin" skrev i meddelandet news:A2Iwb.2297$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...

Use a hairdryer to heat the decal, then its easy to peal off, then remove any traces of glue with solvent.

-- Johan

Reply to
JohanE

yep - hairdryer works a treat ;-))

Reply to
Mad Sad Dad

I've just done the peeling bit, what solvent do you guys recommend to get the glue off?

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

On 26/11/03 9:42 AM, in article

3fc3dac1$0$9385$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com, "Stuart Gray" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Whatever works, acetone, MEK, metho, turps, shellite. It will depend on what adhesive has been used on the sticker for the fastest result.

Cheers Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

Try things in this order:

Hot water and soap White spirit Paraffin/WD40 Celulose thinners/nail varnish remover Petrol Acetone Nylon pan scourer with any of the first three Course emery paper Angle grinder Flame thrower Small thermo-nuclear device Incantation

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Goo Gone

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Ontario

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Thanx for telling this guy in wich order. When you replied to me they were in random order and I tried the small nuclear device first! Lucky the battery was almost empty, or else it would have caused even more damage. I tried it in the garage of the WTC.

Stickers are gone though!

"Stewart Hargrave" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
El Mecky

I would argue against the use of acetone which can disolve almost anything including possible the heating wire strips.

Chuck Fiedler

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

On 27/11/03 10:28 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, "Chuck Fiedler" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

I have yet to see acetone dissolve metal that it comes into contact with.

There are plenty of things that acetone wont dissolve.

Cheers

Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

LOL - just read the above !! I'm leaning towards incantation, with perhaps a small sacrifice. I've seen tattoos come off easier than the sticker on my back window.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Lift-Off #2. Been using it for years.

For extra-thick sticker goo, you need to use lots of it and scrub it in. Once the llayer of goo is dissolved, just wipe it off with paper towels.

Doug Warner