S70 timing belt coming off/out

I have a 1998 S70 T5. Tonight the car started making a rattling sound, and it's coming from the timing belt. As I drove, it was pretty quiet when not in idle. When stopped at a light, it was much louder.

When I finally came home, I noticed that the belt was coming out of the housing about an 1/8th of an inch. I'm talking about the section of above the two big wheels just left of the engine. It looks like the belt had cut it's way through the cover! I was able to push it back in a little bit.

Is this common? I'm coming up at 82K, and the belt was replaced at 58K. It looks like I'm going to have to dish out more money, which stinks, especially since it's only 1/3 into its lifetime.

I know it's my risk, but do you think it's safe to drive another 100 miles on it? That's the number of miles I'll have to drive before Saturday when I can visit my mechanic. Is the risk more that the belt would go off track, or that it'll break?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Michael Chiu

Micheal

You were very lucky to get home, and I would not even start the engine let alone drive anywhere. If the belt comes off you will wreck your engine. Something is out of line causing the belt to wander. This could be loose pullies,belt tensioner, worn belt,water pump.......But something is wrong.....Its going to much cheaper to fix this problem than wrecking your engine.

Reply to
Alistair Ross

The t-belt idler pulley bearing has failed and the pulley part is walking/moving out of place. You are very lucky as noted. Have it towed to your repair center to have the failed pulley replaced. Do not even start the engine. The cranking of the engine could be enough to cause the pulley to come out of place, causing the pistons to hit the valves = new head and possibly $2000 plus in repairs. You are lucky that the plastic cover and t-belt is holding the pulley in place. BD

Reply to
Big Dick

Bleh.

My mechanic mentioned that he thought the bearing was sounding funny. However, he also said that it'd get progressively worse, and that I'd know when things were getting worse. I couldn't hear a thing, so I thought I'd put it off for a few months until it was time to return and get the 90K done.

oh well. At least I'm not dead in the water.

thanks.

Reply to
Michael Chiu