S80 Navigation System

I am planning on buying a 2004 S80 and trying to decide whether to have the navigation system installed. I would like opinions from anyone having any experience, good or bad, with regard to the performance of this option.

I live in the US (Florida) and do a little traveling for my business. I currently use my laptop with Mappoint software and a gps card. It works well and has the advantage of the large laptop screen. It is a bit cumbersome though as it has to sit on the seat next to me and has several wires poking out from it (one for the antenna sitting on my dash and one for power). The screen on the nav system isn't as large, which is a drawback, but, it is facing forward and the controls are on the steering wheel (I think) making it alot safer to use. Currently, I need to take my eyes off the highway and look down at the seat next to me to see the map. I have to take my right hand off the steering wheel to type on the keyboard and again my eyes need to leave the road. Again, not very safe.

I appreciate any information anyone will give me.

Thanks

Reply to
Rick Blum

Hi Rick,

I have just got a S80 and it came with sat-nav in, I find it very good, there are some `quark's with it, but over all a very good system, and very clear to read, if the sun is on it then it's gets a little difficult.

The audio is very clear.

I had sat-nave on my previous car, and wanted it on this one.

Gazza..

Reply to
Gazza

Does the nav system support dead-reckoning? (For those unfamiliar with the term, this is when the nav system uses spedometer data and onboard gyros to track the car's motion when satellite signals are lost...such as in tunnels, urban settings with many tall buildings and/or overpasses and other situations where the view of the sky is obscured).

Cheers,

-+JLS

Reply to
Seagull

Don't think so, it has to `see' the sky..

Reply to
Gazza

Sorry, but the Volvo SatNav system does indeed use a complex system, including both gyros and the ABS road speed signal to calculate the car's location. I think (at least in the UK) there's a Volvo information sheet about it. It is also incredibly expensive here in comparision with both OEM and other car manufacturers....! I have only seen it demonstrated and not actually used it, but it looked good.

Phil

Reply to
Netrover

I'm not at all sorry to hear that. ;) The system is expensive in the US, too (about $2000), but it has the right features for this price point if it does, indeed, have the dead-reckoning capability.

Can you point me at the Web site with the technical information? The US Volvo site barely says anything about it. All I know is that the system is OEM'd from Mitsubishi Electronics, and the Volvo dealers here in town do not have a demonstration DVD... :P

Cheers,

-+JLS

Reply to
Seagull

Since neither of our Volvo's ('98 V70XC, '02 S60AWD) was fitted with the nav system, I ended up buying a Garmin StreetPilot III unit. This can be used in either car or (largely by way of experimentation on my part) can be taken along when flying to some far away location and then used in a rental car.

This model has been replaced by a slightly more efficient package which has a better memory capability (Secure Digital vs a Garmin proprietary memory chip) and also has a somewhat larger display. Since it talks to you, gives large print turn instructions and sits securely on top of the dash, the picture is directly viewable and general convenience high.

Here in open and empty Nevada, the verbal instructions can be a hoot: "In 162 miles, turn right . . . "

Magellan makes at least one unit that is pretty pricey, but a lot less than adding a Volvo unit after sale. The Volvo option in after market mode is a bit over $3K! That Magellan is similar to OEM, with DVD map disk, etc.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

I've been using the Garmin StreetPilot 3 for over 2 years now... it's absolutely fantastic. I'm not familiar with the Volvo one, but it's gonna be so much safer than the way you're doing it now! The Streetpilot 3 doesn't do dead reckoning, but they've just released a second one called the StreetPilot 2610 and 2650 - the 2650 though expensive is amazing! If you've got more than one car, consider this, cos it mounts on the dash, and you can take it from car to car. I've had it in various cars, including hire cars when abroad. The maps are also excellent, infact I can't say anything bad about it!

Regards,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

Ooops - didn't see your message... Definitely agree with you over the StreetPilot. You reminded me about one thing though... there's a cheaper option. Magellan have the Meridian Color out now, and in the US comes in a traveler pack. It's very cheap, and I just picked it up with a $50 rebate that just came through. It has a smaller screen, though it's good quality. It also has new software called "Direct Route", and this'll do routefinding, and bleeps when coming up to a turn. It's a good economy solution at under $500US. Still nothing on the StreetPilot's though...

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

In news: mNUNb.236$T snipped-for-privacy@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net Gazza spoke forth:

Not so - my '99 S80 has a gyro. Once it's had a lock on the satellites it knows which direction it's facing and that it's moving even when in underground car parks.

Reply to
shaun

We actually have a Garmin StreetPilot 2610, and agree that it is fantastic.

By purchasing an XC70 with the Volvo nav system, though, I am hoping to have the best of both worlds: an integrated, dead-reckoning nav system that is not easy to steal for use in (what will be) my wife's car, and the portable, more techie-oriented 2610 for my car and for when either of us is using a rental.

For those that have used both Volvo's system (the current model found in the '04 model) and the StreePilot, I am curious how the two compare, functionally.

Cheers,

-+JLS

Reply to
Seagull

There are plenty of options to consider using a Pocket-PC (eg HP iPaq) with software like TravRoute's Co-Pilot, and a Bluetooth gps.

Worth a thought for those with a need for a pocket PC (who doesn't ;-)) and could use a *portable* NAV solution. I like the fact that it synchronizes with your Outlook Contacts list!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

Reply to
Jim Kelly

Some of these are pretty cool, but safety has become an issue. Some people try to use laptops and have to take their eyes right off the road to wherever the laptop's sitting to see the maps... others try to use handheld PDA's or hiking GPS's, none of which are suited for in car use, often the displays aren't good enouugh for this. The dedicated ones are usually much clearer, have proper mounts for dash mounting, and often decent audio to prevent the need to take eyes off the road. Anything where the screen is too small/unclear, or is not seated on the dash is probably not safe enough to use when driving (IMO). Though they're great if there's someone else in the car to deal with it!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

Another thought - - -

If one is considering the use of appropriate software and either a PC or a PDA, check what the software says about refresh times. My first effort was using some existing things around the house - PC, Microsoft Routing software and a Garmin eTrex for the GPS input. The refresh rate was very slow with this combination and, in fact, makes its use very doubtful in a trip through a city environment.

Another admonition is obvious: With the exception of the dedicated units, *any* other package supports safe use only in the hands of your friendly navigator, not you as driver.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble