Satellite Radio for an old Volvo?

The radio in my 1993 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon works sporadically. My mechanic says I should just get a new one, as it is not worth fixing. I would like to update everything with a satellite radio and CD player. Which one is best for my girl?

Reply to
njprncss

This is not really a Volvo question, as any non-factory radio you install will be a standard DIN sized unit so you'll need an inexpensive install kit for your specific car. I suggest you do some research online for reviews and go check out some head units in stereo shops and see what you like. Perhaps there's a newsgroup dedicated to this as well, once you find something you like it's a fairly simple matter to install it in your 940.

Reply to
James Sweet

A fix for your radio should be a lot less expensive than replacing it. Try checking all the connections and connectors between the car, radio and aerial.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

As stated it's not a Volvo question but I'll give you the consensus view anyway. XM has a lower monthly fee but the difference is less in 12 month or multi-year contracts. Both companies have continuously increased the number of channels and there is a channel./quality trade off so don't pay attention to old quality reports. Sirius has a more sophisticated satellite system deploying 3 satellites in which two are active at any given time and they are at higher angles than the 2 geostationary satellites in XM's system. XM needs far more ground repeaters because this difference makes their signal more susceptible to blockage by buildings or even trucks along side your car. An unexpected benefit of the ground repeaters is that XM has been able to develop a walkman like device that only receives the ground signals but don't expect it to work if you're out of range of a ground station which on a geographical basis probably includes much of the country. Many people like Sirius programming better and it's been reported that Sirius does not repeat programming as frequently but you should compare the programming to your tastes at the web sites. Both companies have announced plans to provide back seat video programming.

Reply to
Raymond Cruz

Reply to
Rob Guenther

He wants a CD player with satelite radio, why bother to repair the old clunky factory radio? They were never particularly great when new.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Raymond Cruz

That's silly, I know a few Canadian people who have Sirius, I do recall they had to get someone down here to fill out the paperwork though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Rob Guenther

be a standard DIN sized unit so you'll need an inexpensive install kit for your specific car.

MY QUESSTION - Does anyone know of an install kit that DOES NOT have the new aftermarket unit jutting out into the car interior. The ones I have seen LOOK like they are aftermarket units. I would like to install a new Alpine unit, but would like it to fit IN the dash.

TIA

Ronald Reed, MBA Austin, TX '90 745T, '91 940 GLE w/clunky aftermarket install kit, '92 940 GL looking to install a new satellite radio

Reply to
R51reed

65475754231 Look at the links for "head units" and "tuners". The head unit fits in the dash and typically gives you CD, AM, FM, and satellite. The tuner goes in your trunk or maybe under a seat. There are several units listed with the Sanyo appearing to be the cheapest at about $169 retail for head unit and tuner (you can often get significant rebates). There are lots of Alpine head units. You also need an antenna of course. This arrangement is not portable into your home -- those types typically jut into your interior.

Reply to
Raymond Cruz